Thread: Attached Zip files always corrupted after download

Attached Zip files always corrupted after download

Whenever I download a zip from email it shows corrupted. It did not extract all the files inside it. My friend email me some set of 20 photos zipped together. It shows the download size of some 1.7 mb. That is quiet short. When I download it and unzip it, there is a error on the screen that the zip is damaged. This has happened again when I asked one my office colleague to email pdf file. That too showed corrupted. I do not understand that the problem is with the zipping tool that I am using or with my attachment. What should I do now. I had re-installed winrar a number of times but did not worked well.

Re: Attached Zip files always corrupted after download

The error that you mentioned appear only if the zip file is not fully downloaded. Somehow the cause can be breaking internet connection. You can check that running ping command in cmd. Type cmd in run box and then type ping google.com -t. If you can see network timeout or any error in between then it seems that your internet connection breaks in between and because of which the file is not downloaded completely. Second thing you said you are receiving zip files in attachment. I will recommend you to use rar instead of that. This is quiet more better and easier to share. Do one thing take a bunch of files in a folder and create a .rar archive. Then attach that to your mail and send to any friend for testing. Or you can simply send on your own email address. Then download and try to open it. If this still works then it looks the issue lies with your system. Disable any security software that you are using. Like any antivirus or anti-malware. Then try back. One more thing, are you using a web base interface to send email or you are doing that from a mail client. Because both work in different way. If you are using a email client like outlook express then try to use the web based interface to send the files. If still the error appears then post your query in more detail.

You might be getting a break operation error. You cannot do in that. I had seen number tools that promise to fix a damage zip files. But they do not work. Ask your friend to use a different zipping utility. There are ample of available online.

Just for a try use a download manager. I was facing this issue related to text files. My friend had attached a word file and he mailed me. When I open the file Word crashed and restarted. Later one when this happened a number of time, the file finally open with various junk characters. It was quiet complicated to fix that. I checked this system, the issue was not from his side. It was from my. My email client was responsible for that. I do not know how but then I started using IDM. I download my attachment direct from web interface and IDM popups. The file then were 100% fine. I checked my internet connection which looks breaking in between. It happen sometime only. This shows that because of breaking internet connectivity the data was not able to build completely. I think the same is happening with you. Try to get any free download manager and then download files via it. Because this kind of download manger are capable of downloading the complete file even when there is constant break in internet connectivity.

There are certain type of format or what you say structure which are needed to create a proper .zip format. I think in your that structure is effected because of which you are facing this issue. Also if a single file inside the zip folder is damaged then it affects the entire archive. So it is necessary to check all the files working properly before zipping it or else they will not be extracted properly.

There are number of reason because of which a zip file gets damaged. The one thing which is find most commonly among this is the a error at the time of download. To some extent hard drive bad sectors are also responsible for this. If you are facing this is every zip file that you are getting in mail, then do one thing. Change the location of download. Try to access those files on any other system. There can be bad sectors on your system. One more thing, when you are downloading those files ensure that you do not pause the download. Later on your antivirus scan the attachment. If it founds any kind of security threat, either it will block those files or do not allow to download. Disable the antivirus for sometime and check again. There is a powerful tool called as ziprepair. I had used this tool a number of time whenever I got a corrupt Zip on my system. It works fine.