Thread: Remove description field of all bookmarks in Firefox

Remove description field of all bookmarks in Firefox

Hello friends I have a query with Description field of all bookmarks in Mozilla Firefox. As by default Mozilla add the content of all pages <meta name="Description" content="..." /> tag in description field. So I would like to know how to remove all the description field of bookmarks. And let me tell you that I have many bookmarks and would like to know if I can clean them together.

Re: Remove description field of all bookmarks in Firefox

I am also looking forward for some kind of tools to remove the entire description field. As there are lots of bookmarks it would be really difficult to remove all the description one by one so is there any way to remove them all. Please help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod View Post
    I am also looking forward for some kind of tools to remove the entire description field. As there are lots of bookmarks it would be really difficult to remove all the description one by one so is there any way to remove them all. Please help me out.
    Yes you can try this step:

• First click on the backup and export HTML
    • Now select start button and click on Run.
    • Type “cmd” and press enter which will open command prompt
    • Now type this code “ findstr /v "<DD>" bookmarks.html > output.html”
    • From library you have to remove all folders and bookmarks
    • Now import HTML by clicking in the import button.
    • After that you have to delete "Bookmarks Menu > Bookmarks Toolbar" after moving the items from "Bookmarks Menu > Bookmarks Toolbar" folder to "Bookmarks Toolbar" folder

Usually Mozilla Firefox saves all the bookmarks in a SQLite database file so that you can access it easily and do any kind of changes you need. For doing this you will have to follow these steps.
    First you will have to install SQLite Database Browser and enter this command
    Code:
    apt-get install sqlitebrowser
    If you don’t have SQLite Database Browser , simply download and install it from SourceForge. Before doing all these don’t forget to backup your bookmarks OR you will lose everything if anything goes wrong. Then you will have to close Firefox as you won’t be able to edit bookmarks in it is running mode. Now run SQLite Database Browser and then you will have to open places.sqlite file which you will find in your profile folder.

After all this, just run the below SQL so that it will remove all the description of your bookmarks.
    Code:
    delete from moz_items_annos where anno_attribute_id = 2
    Now you just have to save and close it. Now start your Firefox and it is done.