Thread: After updating to Flash 11.2.202.228, it wont work on Firefox with Linux

After updating to Flash 11.2.202.228, it wont work on Firefox with Linux

For Firefox in Linux, The adobe has released a new version of Flash plug-in to work efficiently. You can download this new version of plug-in directly from Adobe website. I did the same as suggested in the official page. I have a Linux based computer with Firefox 13 installed on it. As suggested, I have installed the Flash but it won’t work at all. None of the flash content able to open the web page. In the processes window, I can see the plug-in container running when I first launch the browser but then it immediately closes. Even if I disable the Plugin container, it will crash the Firefox when I try to open any Flash page.

Re: After updating to Flash 11.2.202.228, it wont work on Firefox with Linux

The Flash player or Flash plug-in is lightweight. It is a platform or runtime environment in order to display Flash based websites or any contents along with some rich online applications based on internet. Rich web content can be viewed easily using this small tool. Animations and other kind designs now no longer need additional support to view on web. Even you can view FLV videos on your web browser which will stream much faster than youtube videos. Before installing the new version of Flash plug-in you have to get rid of the older version of Flash installed in your Firefox.

Even if it is disabled from the browser, it will remain in the plug-in folder or container. You have to manually remove the files after uninstalling. Then download the new file which will be a .tar.gz file. Unpack it and it will create a directory which contains libflashplayer.so. You have to copy that file to ~/.mozilla/plugins. If there is no such folder, you have to create one. Having 2 different version of Flash in the same folder will usually cause the browser to crash.

I have seen the same issue while I start to play a Facebook game or Zynga game. Whenever I try to run or open a Facebook Game, the Firefox hangs for few seconds and then it completely crashes. I have heard in several forums that Facebook games typically have issues with Linux flash. They don’t match up well in some cases.

Did you try using the other browser like Google Chrome or opera?

How would they work actually?

Sometime it also depends on the video cards and graphics drivers. If your system does not have Graphic drivers installed, it will surely cause with web browsers. So try to update all the Graphics related drivers and run again. You may also need to enable the hardware acceleration.

There is a system folder: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/. Here you will see all the plug-ins installed for the Browser. I assume that there is also an older versions of Flash installed. The new version will not update or rewrite the existing version. It will simply install a new plug-in for the browser. Due to having 2 different versions Flash may not able to load a proper plug-in its container. Also if there are too many third party plug-in s installed in your case, you should remove or disable all of them first and try to run the browser only with Flash plug-in enabled. This way you will get to know whether it is the Flash which is actually causing the problem to the Firefox or something else. If you cannot get that folder, you directly view all the plug-ins installed using "about:plugins" url.