Thread: Google says I'm infected

Google says I'm infected

When entering something in google, there was a box at top of page that said "it appears your computer is infected". Google offered several options to sites I should check, of which I went to Karpenski? I know its not spelled right. Has anyone seen this? I ran malwarebytes...warning on google said it could be rootkit virus. But malwarebytes found 0. Nada. Nothing. I'm puzzled.

question Re: Google says I'm infected

I also wanted to mention that my system is running slow. But google says (at top of page) I may not have access to internet if I don't address problem. I believe it implies something with a "rootkit" killer to fix problem. But again, I ran malwarebytes and nothing detected. So I am going to the experts here to find out what is going on, or if anyone has seen this same thing on google. Is it a hoax? Thanks for your help.

Re: Google says I'm infected

Alright, try to download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here to your computer desktop. After that just double click the exe file. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please do it, if it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan, click on yes.

Okay, I just ran this program(gmer) and apparently something doesn't jive with this system. It was doing ok until I walked away for a few. When I came back, I had this blue screen warning. It said that windows was shut down to prevent further damage/errors to my computer. It also made reference to any new hardware or software and suggested to delete it (software) which I did. During scan, It didn't appear to show any threats since it was taking a while to scan. So now I'm really suspecious of this alert from google. I'm begining to think I need someone here to physically look at this thing. I was hoping someone here an an idea, or has seen same thing from google. But I am still concerned because I can't afford to be without this thing since my new job requires having internet access. Just a bit frustrated at this point, or hoping my frustration is for nothing.

Well, if you are still getting the error message then first log in to your computer in Safe Mode, and download TDSSKiller.exe from Kaspersky Lab. Its a small tool and takes only 1 minute to run, it normally searches and kills down some specific family of rootkits that actually redirect to different website via google.

cool Re: Google says I'm infected

Thank you for your assistance. I ran TDSS killer--in safe mode--and it said I had no infections. So I guess I can breath easy now. But I am still wondering about google. I would only assume at this point that it is a "fake" ad which is trying to get me to click on something. It also claims that if I don't clean system, I may not have access to internet. I've seen this DNS thing recently and I become concerned since I don't know a tech person to guide me. Thanks for your help.

It could be some sort of new virus.Have you tried a different antivirus because malwarebytes might not support rootkit.

Well I have Essentials. I don't remember if I've ran it for this. I've been led to believe that it is a rootkit issue. As you can see in above post I ran TDSS in safe mode and came up with goose-eggs. But I suppose I could run Essentials and see what happens. No one has been able to tell me what this is--seeing I'm infected or could be infected ad from google. It really is a bit agrivating. And it gets into thoughts of who sends this stuff out and why. I'm very suspecious.

From what i have heard so far, some group of hackers who were creating fake DNS addresses with servers got raided by the FBI agents. And there are 1000's of computers that are using this server to access web and it is possible that this servers will be used till July 2012 and then it will be discontinued. So people who have bought their computer recently are also facing similar kind of issue and there is no need to worry about same.

Exclamation Re: Google says I'm infected

Thank you for responding to my panicked post. Ya know, I had a funny feeling about this popup, or fake warning. But I was panicked because I thought it was a legit warning. And yes, I do remember seeing a story about these dudes who got busted for hacking other peoples systems. But it had me scrambling to find anti-virus that would get rid of it. Thanks again for the info. I appreciate it. Nice to know someone is wiser than me on this board. But I also hope someone else see's this message who may have a similar issue/concern. Certainly it is important for others to know too.

Exclamation Re: Google says I'm infected

Does anyone have the link for that story because I might take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by windowsman View Post
    Does anyone have the link for that story because I might take a look.
    It was just a news published on many news related site and the source is how much genuine, cant be judged. But lets not forget that this type of infection didnt harm any pc's as long as it stayed, so it can be counted as a fake alarm perhaps.