Thread: Error Code 80070422 with Windows Live Messenger

Error Code 80070422 with Windows Live Messenger

I have been running windows 7 in my system and I use Windows Live Messenger as well and everything was working fine by now but then I don’t know what went wrong with the same now, now when I am signing on to Windows Live Messenger then after entering the account name and password I am getting an error message saying “the service is temporarily unavailable” I don’t think that there is any issue as such as I am not having any issue from logging on to it by using the Messenger platform on hotmail and checking out the emails as well. As far as I am aware the issue has started after changing the default web browser but then now even after reverting back to the default web browser is not making any difference and the issue is still the same, I am really running out of ideas in finding out the cause of this issue, is there anyone else who has faced the same and has any idea about solving it??

Re: Error Code 80070422 with Windows Live Messenger

I think that I can help you out here, actually I was facing the same issue previously and I had tried out uninstalling and reinstalling Messenger making sure that I am doing a clean reinstall but then it did not made any difference in my case though some had specified that it does help, anyways later I found a solution that helped me out, if you want then you can try out the same and see if it is helping you out as well or not.
    • First just go in to control panel and then choose the uninstall/change option by right clicking on the same
    • When you will be prompted for choosing the uninstall or repair then chose the repair option and after some time the process will get completed.
    • Now when you will sign in then you should not have the same issue.

I think that the issue had occurred after some update to windows 7 in my case and I doubt the same in yours as well, so just try this out and then let me know what you get.

I have checked out for the same and I have found one solution that has been voted by a no of people for fixing this issue, I will suggest you to try out the same:
    • First make sure that msnmsgr.exe and wlcomm.exe are shut down and for that go in to Task Manager (press Ctrl + Alt + Delete Key to get the Task Manager option) after that Go to Processes tab and check out for msnmsgr.exe and wlcomm.exe program if you find then kill those processes.
    • After that Change the Microsoft Windows Explorer settings and for that open the Explorer Windows and then go in to Organize and then select “Folder and Search options” and then go on the View tab and then check out the advanced settings list and then Select the “Show hidden files and folders” which will be under Hidden Files and Folders. Other than this also Clear the Hide extensions for known file types and then Click on apply and then on ok and then close the Folder Options window.

• When you are done with the same then open my computer and then go in to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Contacts and check out for the folder which will be having your email address and then delete the same. Make sure that you are just deleting the folder having your email address and not other folders, If you delete other items then you won’t be able to recovered.
    • If that does not help then Click on Start and then open the Control Panel and then open Programs and Features and select “Windows Live Messenger” from the list and then chose the “Uninstall/Change” button.
    • After that when you will be prompted for uninstall and repair then chose the option for Repairing Windows Live Programs and then wait for the
    • Installer to complete the repairing task, once the process gets completed then Restart your computer and now log in again and now you should not have any issues.

If the above step’s does not solve the issue then check out the below things as well:
    • If you are using Windows 7 and Windows Vista then click on start and then type “date and time” without the quotes and then click on Date and Time option and then check out the settings and make sure that it is showing the current date, time, and year current date, time, and year.
    • If you are using Windows XP then just click on the Start and then click on Control Panel and then double-click on Date and Time and make sure that it is showing the current date, time, and year current date, time, and year.
    • You should also check out and make sure that firewall is allowing the “Windows Live Messenger” and for that go to start and then click on All Programs and then go through the list of installed programs and check out the firewalls, some firewall software’s can be from Norton, McAfee, and Zone Alarm as well. If you don’t have much idea about the same then better contact the firewall provider and cross check if the firewall settings allow you to connect to Messenger or not.

There are possibilities that the issue might be because of the server certificate as well so better c heck it out and uncheck the server certificate revocation option in Internet Explorer and for that follow the below steps:
    • For Windows 7 and Windows Vista- Go to start and then type Internet Explorer and then click on Internet Explorer
    • For Windows xp- Go to start and then click on all Programs option and then click on Internet Explorer
    • After that go to the Tools menu and then click on the Internet options, if at all you are not getting the Tools menu then just press Alt key from the keyboard to get the same.
    • Now under Security click on the advanced tab and then uncheck the “Check for server certificate revocation” and then click on ok and then restart your system and then sign in to Messenger.

If none of these help then you can try out changing the Windows Explorer settings and then deleting the Messenger Contacts folder, there are possibilities that the Contacts folder might be corrupted and if it is so then you won’t be able to sign in to Messenger, so just try out deleting the contacts but then before deleting the Contacts folder you will have to change the Windows Explorer settings.
    Changing Windows Explorer settings
    • If you are using Windows 7 or Windows Vista then go to start and then click on Run and then type “explorer” without the quotes and then click on ok and then click on Organize and then click on “Folder and Search options” and after that under Advanced settings click on the View tab and then in the Hidden files and folders section just click on the “Show hidden files, folders, and drives.” And then uncheck the “Hide extensions for known file types” option and then click on ok.
    • If you are using Windows XP then go to start and then click on Run and then type “explorer” without the quotes and then click on ok and then on the Tools menu just click on the Folder options and after that under Advanced settings click on the View tab and then in the Hidden files and folders section just click on the “Show hidden files, folders, and drives.” And then uncheck the “Hide extensions for known file types” option and then click on ok.

For deleting Messenger Contacts folder
    • If you are using Windows 7 or Windows Vista go to start and then click on Computer and then go in to C:\Users\<Windows logon name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft and then delete the Windows Live Contacts folder, when you are done with the same then go to C:\Users\<Windows Logon name>\Contacts and then delete the Contacts folder.
    • If you are using Windows XP then go to start and then click on My Computer and then go in to C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows logon name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft and then delete the Windows Live Contacts folder, when you are done with the same then go to C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows logon name>\Contacts and then delete the Contacts folder.

When you are done with all these then try signing in to Messenger and see if you are getting the same error message again or not.