Thread: Firefox 12 won't run in old computer

Firefox 12 won't run in old computer

My iMac is currently running Mac (OS 10.4.11). While checking mails on Gmail, it prompted me to upgrade the Firefox because the Gmail will be taking out the support from the old version of Firefox I was using. For that reason from the official Mozilla website, I have downloaded the latest version of Firefox and replaced it with the one. Now the application folder shows Firefox as v12.0. Now the problem is, I cannot launch or open the new Firefox. The system shows me an error saying that my computer is too old to work with Firefox 12. Which version Firefox should I use for the Mac OS 10.4.11?

Re: Firefox 12 won't run in old computer

I have seen that the last version of Firefox was working fine with PowerPC Macs but now they are unsupported and that might be due to the security vulnerabilities. The developer had told that it is not the safest version to use. Also there are several articles saying that the Firefox no longer works with Mac OS X 10.4 otherwise PowerPC processors. There is a third-party build of Firefox called TenFourFox which might work in your case and kept up-to-date.

Yes, it is true that, Firefox 3.6.28 was the last version to support the PPC and 10.4 even with Intel processor. You have to upgrade to Mac OS 10.5 in order to continue using the latest version of Firefox browser. Due to security concern the Mozilla has decided to discontinue its browser on older Oss. If your iMac or any MAC system is based on Intel processor and Mac OS X 10.4, the only option left for you is to upgrade it to the later version. You should upgrade to Mac OS X (10.6 or 10.7 or even later. This is the only and most secure option which will allow you to install and run the latest version of Firefox browser. Otherwise you still need to continue using Firefox 3.6.

One in three Firefox users on Mac OS X uses a version of the operating system no longer supported by Apple. According to figures from Mozilla. The browser maker is planning to support Firefox for Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) next year to stop. Currently running 24% of Mac users with Firefox the OS that has long no longer supported by Apple. Nine percent work personally with the older Mac OS X 10.4. Only 14% of Firefox users on Mac OS X runs the new Lion (10.7), while 53% with Snow Leopard (10.6) works. Mozilla is committed to supporting end next June, as Firefox 13 is launched. The number of Mac OS X 10.5-gebuikers, each month one or two percent. That would mean that at the launch of Firefox 13 the share was around 13%. Is only 7 to Firefox look, then turns twenty percent Mac OS X 10.5.

TenFourFox is not a simple build, but a variant that includes the modified code and optimized for Mac OS X 10.4, and processors of PowerMacs and also some newly added sources not present in Mozilla. The additions allow you to fill the lack of having Tiger on older systems, the new JavaScript much faster processing, data synchronization, support for HTML5 and CSS3, WebM for video cards as well as the application (App Tab) Panorama, the new management system and add-on (almost) all the other news. There are obviously some technical differences between Firefox 4 and TenFourFox. In practice, the gaps are greater than TenFourFox that there is no support for the three-dimensional graphics WebGL and there is no hardware acceleration (and hence the animations are not so fluid). Also lacks the technology to run out-of-process plugins that isolates the execution and should protect the browser crashes or freezes. For the rest we can only be pleasantly impressed if not amazed by the work done by Kaiser.