Thread: Is it possible to open a finished iWeb website on a windows 7 computer??

Is it possible to open a finished iWeb website on a windows 7 computer??

Hi guys, I had to develop a website-look alike presentation for which I am planning to iWeb as I am not aware of other standard web development languages. So I am planning to use iWeb as my interface or platform, to call it better for the task of my web development. So, I am not sure how to go about this. I mean, I definitely know to design a website and all but I will have to run it on a windows computer post development. How to do that? I do not have enough time to perform a detailed research on this issue so I have decided to open a forum for this. I am looking for an immediate solution on this issue as I am working on a deadline and I can’t afford to lose out on any time with the trial and error thing. I need a fool-proof, one time solution for my issue. I am not even hinting at the fact that I am not open to experiments as I know nobody can give a solution at the very first go! But as I said, I would prefer a tried solution. I know this is a bit too much to ask from you all who yourself must be busy with a lot of things but when you find a solution I would be glad if you could spare a few minutes and try the solution by yourself so that I can go about with it with the confidence that it will definitely work.

re: Is it possible to open a finished iWeb website on a windows 7 computer??

A website look alike presentation sounds a bit of a doubtful mission to accomplish. But I guess, you know what you are doing and that you are confident enough in attaining. We out here always try to provide with solutions that work at the very first go. We love it when an issue is resolved in a single post and I am sure everyone agrees to this. But at times what happens is that either the individual in question fails in explaining the issue properly or the issues are so damn specific to that individual or system that there has to be more than 1 tries to resolve that issue in the most effective way possible. So, the experts out here are not to be blamed. It is not funny for us to see individuals trying hard solving an issue. Anyways, coming back to your issue, I would recommend you to simply publish the website, upload it online if you have webspace and domain, you can also put it as a subdomain or a different page on web. If none of these are available simply do a very simple thing there are n-number of free web upload sites available, you can just upload it there and during your presentation, type in those URLs and play it easily. I hope this gives you a solution in the very first go!

I seriously do not mean to offend anyone. That was definitely not my aim when I opened this thread. I just meant to say that I am in a hurry that is all that I wanted to imply through those lines. I don’t have even a single doubt about the fact that our experts on the forum are extremely sincere and talented at the same time. I am very sure that they do not mean to spoil things for anyone and have been making sincere efforts in giving solutions at the very first go. So, I am not looking forward for an argument on the issue, consider it as a typing error because of the bad hassle that I am in. my sincere apologies to all those who felt offended only to clarify that I did not mean to. And talking about the very genuine and sincere that you intended to provide me, I wanted to tell you that there wont be possibly any internet connection at the place where I am giving this presentation. It is undoubtedly my bad that I did not mention it in the question but yeah, this solution is ruled out because of that. So any other quick help would be genuinely appreciated.

Ok1 you are right, you should have mentioned it with you question. So, after a long brain racking session, I happened to come up with a very simple solution which should probably have been the first option to try. Opening the website simply with a browser might help you with the problem. Let me tell you, your presentation won’t be a presentation when you try to open it with a browser or even when you uplad and load in on your windows. It will work and look like a typical website unless designed in a peculiar format. But typically speaking, I don’t really understand your point in trying this complicated way. Ok! Keeping warnings and cons at its place, I would like to start with the solution that I was talking about.

Look what you can do is simply place the entire structure of the folder containing your website in the exact same folder and to access that you simply have to double click after opening it from the windows explorer on the files which will ideally be named anything from the following: index.htm, index.html, main.htm, main.html, home.htm, home.html. When you double click on any of this, actually the home page but in your case, the opening slide of your presentation will appear on Internet Explorer or Firefox or any other browser that has been set default.

It will open as a website looking exactly the way it would have looked on the internet. The files are not but the same on your computer as it would be on your web hosting site and it occupies the space as it would have rightly occupied on the web space.

Ok! That looks like an extremely helpful solution that you mentioned and I am extremely grateful for that. I have another simple query on the same issue. Look, you asked me save a certain structure of my file on the system which I will be using for the presentation purpose. Totally agreed. But, the doubt that is following me is that I will have access to that computer only on the day of presentation and that too a few minutes before. So, I will be carrying this entire presentation on a pendrive may be. Now I am confused about the path that I got to follow on the code because, the drive letters, the folder structures and everything else on my computer will be different. So, I am a bit confused on that issue. How do I solve that? Also, I have heard that the use of safari or Mozilla is recommended on the windows pc so as to efficiently avoid the compatibility issue if exists any. Because, they say, internet explorer sucks big time when you try to load websites developed on mac on it. So, do I need to carry browser setups for safety?

Look, I totally understand your concern and your mental state when you have few days to meet your deadline and you have no great idea over how to go ahead with things. But my sincere suggestion would be to stop being concerned by any means as that will only increase the anxiety and you might end up goofing it up and messing things in a way that it cannot be sorted out. Try working on that aspect too; try working on some stress release tactics if possible. And yeah, getting to your current concern, I would suggest you to ideally follow the path of simple D:/ and save your main folder openly out there. Since, every pc have the D: drive in it, you will have little to worry. And getting to your second question which sounds totally baseless to me, let me tell you if Internet explorer does not show you a website in the way that it was made, the case would be same for 70 % of people throughout the world who are using the web since it is recorded that 70% of people use no other browser but Internet explorer. This is independent of the fact that your pc is saved online or is it on the hard disk of your system. However, I don’t know where your IWeb saves it.