Thread: Unable to open new Tabs in Firefox 12

Unable to open new Tabs in Firefox 12

I am online for most of the time and like to keep my PC and my software up-to-date as much as I can. Just two nights back I updated my browser i.e. Firefox 11 to Firefox 12 and was happy to see all my settings perfect and correct in options. But now I have experienced that I am unable to open a new tab. I get a new window instead. Also in my options I have checked out besides tabs on top it is grayed out and I am unable to change this thing. I am unable to understand why Mozilla did this installation is it the problem with new version or issues are from my end. I do not understand at all. I hope someone could help me with this?

Re: Unable to open new Tabs in Firefox 12

Try disabling or uninstalling Ask tool bar and it should work fine again. This is the compatibility issue with the Ask tool bar following a security update in Firefox 12. You can simply follow the steps I am mentioning and enjoy to use your Firefox again as you were using it. Follow the following steps:
    1. Go to Tools from menu bar
    2. Click on Add-ons from the list of menus given.
    3. Select Extensions from the Window.
    4. Select Ask Toolbar.
    5. Click Uninstall or disable.

Restart Firefox.
    Hope this works for you as we tried same thing on my friends PC and it worked for him..

Hi, I am facing the same problem which is discussed above whenever I try to open a new Tab a new Window opens which is very frustrating as for every new Tab a new window opens. I tried the above solution but it was in vain as I had no Ask Tool Bar installed.

I have searched again and again so it is confirmed my problem is not happening due to the Ask Tool bar.

So can someone suggest me a different solution as it is very irritating to have a new window for everything? You can just imagine it becomes so damn difficult to see Facebook, Twitter and Gmail all in different windows.

Yes, I can just imagine surfing different windows for different websites quite frustrating it is. Sometimes some faulty extensions or hardware acceleration may cause this issues what you can do is try running the Firefox in safe mode and check if the problem still exists. You can access Mozilla Firefox safe mode from all programs list in Mozilla tab. When Firefox Safe mode window appears, press the button Continue in Safe Mode. If your problem does not persist in Safe Mode then it is caused by one of the extensions. Now there are some steps in which you can determine which extension is causing you the problem.

1. Click “Tools”, Select “Add-ons” an Add-ons window will appear.
    2. In the Add-ons window select the “Extension” panel
    3. Click the name of the extension to select it
    4. Click “Disable” to disable to the selected extension
    5. Repeat this for each of the extensions in the list
    6. Click “Restart Firefox”.

After you restart, all the selected extensions will be disabled. Test for your problem and just uninstall it.