I would have done that even if you would not have asked. I am glad you are interested in staying careful henceforth. Anyways, going ahead with the guidelines, they are as stated below:
• You should never consider sharing the password of your email id with the Cyber owner or any other individual present there asking them to check your email on your behalf. This might sound unreal to you, but these senior citizens and small kids are still ignorant about the value of data and the amount of information theft active throughout the globe. Always make sure, you only type in the email id and its password. If you are unaware of it, you can easily surf for options to do this, but sharing it should not be a part of the option
• If at all you happen to store or save any data pertaining to your personal self, check and confirm that you have deleted them before leaving
• When you are sitting online on a public PC, always check for the personalized browser security settings so that you are safe from the personal data exposure. Always, uncheck the checkbox next to label reading : Remember my ID on this computer. Also make sure that just like the password, the user id is kept very safe. This is to avoid minimizing the hacker’s work of crashing into your account
• Beware of the spyware termed ‘Keylogger’ which is known to record all the keystrokes happening in the machine and this is reported directly to the hacker or the owner of the website. They may directly get saved into the attacker’s machine or might get collected at a specific interval.
• Always remember that the data on the public computers and shared computers are exposed and available to all the users all the time. So, take care of that and make sure that all the personal details that you enter are deleted from time to time.
• The first thing as soon as you enter a cyber café should be to check if it has the best and an updated version of Anti Virus and Anti Spam software. These software are sometimes efficient to work against these keyloggers and all.
• Don’t go out on call and all without locking the computer
• Always keep the password storage feature disabled in your system
• Finally, Aalways check and confirm that you have logged out properly when you leave Cyber cafe