Thread: dns look-up failed

dns look-up failed

hi i just got a second hand dell optiplex gx620 with windows xp on and its on a wired internet connection and it worked fine for a day but then stopped i am not very techie so when i got unable to reslove the servers dns address i was puzzled i dont know what this means my other pc works fine so i am at a loss at what to do next i looked on some forums but dont really get what is being said [techie words] when i try to use chrome it says dns look-up failed and says maybe check internet connection or maybe misconfigured network. do you know if theres anyway to check which one it is.and how to reconfig the network also the computer symbol at the right hand corner of my screen that tells you about internet connection is gone and cant find it do you know what this means or how to get it back thanks for all your help

Re: dns look-up failed

hi i just got a second hand dell optiplex gx620 with windows xp on and its on a wired internet connection and it worked fine for a day but then stopped i am not very techie so when i got unable to reslove the servers dns address i was puzzled i dont know what this means my other pc works fine so i am at a loss at what to do next i looked on some forums but dont really get what is being said [techie words] when i try to use chrome it says dns look-up failed and says maybe check internet connection or maybe misconfigured network. do you know if theres anyway to check which one it is.and how to reconfig the network also the computer symbol at the right hand corner of my screen that tells you about internet connection is gone and cant find it do you know what this means or how to get it back thanks for all your help
    Hey you can check out the solution that has been mentioned in the below thread for same issue, just try out the solutions from there and then let me know if the issue still exist.
    Getting "DNS lookup failed" error message on Google Chrome

thanks i will give it a go and get back to you

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home-615396691d
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-72-CE-01-FD
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.42.94
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\denise> [ i did try what you said but no joy so far.]

Re: dns look-up failed

done what you said plus turned off firewall at network connections it worked untill i updated my avg then had to restart my pc then when it rebooted it had stopped working again saying dns lookup failed as before. also i noticed that my optiplex pc says when i click on network connections it says local connection 2 and is connecting by broadcom netxtreame 57xx gigabit c and my working pc says local connection and is connecting by nvidia nforce networking controller. does this mean anything