Thread: iWork (beta) vs iCloud

iWork (beta) vs iCloud

I have recently upgraded to ios5 and have found that the iCloud is having a iWork sync for iOS devices, so I just wanted to know that how are they different from iWork beta site and how can one interact with the same, in my vase I am having some documents on the iWork beta site but then I don’t know why are they not appearing in the iCloud site, is there anyone who has an broad idea about the same and can clear my doubts??

Re: iWork (beta) vs iCloud

I think that you have started a very interesting topic, in my case I have uploaded number of documents to my iWork (beta) and I am having other several documents On my iPad and iPhone but then I am not able to see them on iWork(beta) account, as far as my observation the iWork (beta) and the iCloud are not integrated with each other, I am really disappointed with this as some Pages on the Mac are just allowing us to upload either to the iWork(beta) or the iCloud, I have not yet been able to get them work together, I don’t think that there might be anyone who have got these working together as well, I really wish to see this two things fully integrated as some time I start documents on my Mac and then there is a need to edit them later so for that I can use the mobile devices. I am just waiting for the full integration eagerly.

I completely agree to you for that, even I am not able to guess out why iWork beta is not intergrated into icloud / iWork, when I check out the Pages or Numbers from my mac then I am just getting the option for saving iWork beta, there is no option for saving the same in icloud, it appears as if they have missed it or it has been designed in that way, I have checked about the same and have found a no if people having the same sentiment for getting the services as fully integrated, I think that iWork Beta has been beta from a long time,. If I am correct then it has been almost a year so it is high time to get in to iCloud, what do you guys think about the same??? I am just wishing to see it solved with some necessary updates/changes as soon as possible.

I think that almost of all us need the following things:
    • Mac-based iWorks suite sync to/from iCloud's iWork- I really think that it should be made available with an iWorks '11 in the (Mac) App Store.
    • Getting the ability to publish iWorks documents so that the other can see the same and comment on it, I think that this will just take a change to iCloud at a minimum, probably there are chances that we would be having a iCloud-iWork.com which will be distinct for the different purposes or the iWork.com will go away rolling it on to the iCloud.

I personally feel that it will be a cool idea for integrating the iWorks as well as the iCloud tightly where iWork.com will be separate for storing personal on-all-devices and so.

In that case I will like to add that I have been using iPad and I have now given up the with iCloud, I mean that I have just turned it off on ios 5 as there were not advantaged that I could have noticed, the worst case is when you are using Snow Leopard like me and willing to connect to the iCloud with Safari but then the best connection is webdav + Dropbox, I have tested out the same but then here there is an issue for connecting iWork document to Dropbox, I think that it is very disappointing to see Apple could not buying Dropbox, I think that they should at least give it a try once and then check out the response that they are getting, I have also found that there are some Free services that allow us to connect to several cloud services which are just not reachable from the iWork apps on iPad. Let’s see what comes.

I just cannot guess what they might have thought off for not integrating it with iCloud, I am not sure which tasks other are willing to carry out in icloud or iwork but then I have been looking out for a collaborative workspace for sharing documents on any device with my collaborators and including me as well, I think that this is where the computing needs to go, it seems as if it was Apples goal with iCloud but then now we are having to different products that are not working all together, I have also found that the icloud doesn't work with pre Lion Macs but then it works out with windows pc, currently I am looking forward to check out GoogleApps and Google Sites and I really hope to see the apple heading in the same direction making their execution easy and execution.

I have upgraded to Lion recently because of which I am able to use iCloud and carry out my work between Mac iPhone and IPad but then I have bought some Pages for my iPhone andipad and I am just not able to get them work with iCloud, I have tried contacting the apple for the same but then they were not able to resolve the issue, later iWork entered the equation suddenly and I was able to see the shared documents which were sent through iWork but then now after going through the posts that has been mentioned here I came to know that they are two systems, here I just wanted to know that how long my Pages would be holding in the Cloud, I am reall lost thinking about the same as it seems everything is on iWork, if anyone has is aware of any workaround that can be tried then please share it will be highly appreciated, some people have suggested me the hint of sync iPad and iPhone to the mac but then I really don’t think that’s a solution. Any help regarding this will be appreciated.

I just wanted to know if anyone has tried out using "Box" it not then try out the same it is just free and it has worked fine for me, the problem that I am having with the iWork.com is that I have uploaded a Keynote Presentation to iWork.com but then I am not able to find way by which I can load it on to my iPad, I am willing to do the same as I want to use the iPad to show the Keynote Presentation, this things worked fine with Box without any issues but then I will like to know if anyone is having a workaround that I can use to upload my Keynote from iWork.com the ipad then please share it here it will be very great full. I have tried signing from Keynote using iwork.com as a Webdav server but then it did not helped. Any suggestion ion ???

I think you guys here might not have been aware of the fact that the iWork.com is dead by now, I have received an email from the The iWork team saying the below thing:
    Dear iWork.com user,

Thanks for participating in the iWork.com public beta.

Last year, we launched iCloud, a service that stores your music, photos, documents, and more and wirelessly pushes them to all your devices. Today, there are already over 40 million documents stored on iCloud by millions of iWork customers. Learn more about iCloud.

With a new way to share iWork documents between your devices using iCloud, the iWork.compublic beta service will no longer be available. As of July 31, 2012, you will no longer be able to access your documents on the iWork.com site or view them on the web.

We recommend that you sign in to iWork.com before July 31, 2012, and download all your documents to your computer. For detailed instructions on how to save a copy of your documents on your computer, read this support article at Apple.com.

Sincerely,
    The iWork team
    Many others might have received the same, anyways this time I really wish that the apple merge the iWork.com features into iCloud and incuklde the public sharing feature that has been mentioned the previous posy by some user.

Yes even I have received the same message but then I am really disappointed with the same as I have been using iWork.com Beta for sharing Keynote documents, I have checked about the same and I have found that it won’t be possible after July and the only option that has been left for me is going with iCloud, where one can just share the documents with their self and one cannot download a document from iCloud if it has not been opened in an iOS device, this is what I have understood so far “iWork users won’t be able to share documents with others through an easy built-in interface until there is an easy built-in interface” correct me if I am wrong?? I also wanted to know if anyone is having any effective workaround that wont be taking much time for sharing the Keynote presentations that I have with others? I am not having any issues in convert them to PPT and then using GoogleDocs but then I just find the solution to be appealing because of the extra steps and Microsoft-ness.

I really don’t know why apple are not understanding that their current solution are not good enough even after a no of people have raised the same, I don’t understand that why they are just not implementing the obvious solution, I have check out the iCloud sharing between iOS devices and it seems to be working fine but then iCloud sharing to a Mac is not yet proper as one has to open a browser and then manually download the documents, I cannot guess the reason behind letting us wait for the entire system update as the Mobile Documents solution explores that mac is capable of more than just this relatively simple function, I think that there should have been a minor update to Pages rather than just waiting us wait for the major update to the system. I know that the minor update wont be solving out the other lost functionality for sharing comment on documents but then it would have allowed us to syncing documents between other devices at least instead of iOS ones, I think that would have been simpler, I know that photos and music are important but then I don’t think that they are that important as compared to that off documents.