Thread: Unable to connect Dell Inspiron 6400 to internet with Dell wireless 1390 WLAN mini

Unable to connect Dell Inspiron 6400 to internet with Dell wireless 1390 WLAN mini

Recently I bought a new Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with a Broadcom 44/10x100 integrated controllers and Dell 1390 WLAN mini-card installed in it. Have no issue with this laptop at all until now but I guess there is some incompatibility with this wireless mini card that is installed in it. I am completely unable to get the laptop function with my wireless internet.
    Is there anyone who can let me know what exactly could have gone wrong, this complete brand new laptop I bought last week.

Re: Unable to connect Dell Inspiron 6400 to internet with Dell wireless 1390 WLAN mini

Did you install the card by yourself or you got it already installed in the machine from where you bought it. Why don’t you try out connecting your laptop to the internet using different wireless network. if possible just try it out and let me know what exactly happens. Also if possible make sure that you are running the latest version of the firmware in your router; please mention the brand and model of the router you are running at your place.

Re: Unable to connect Dell Inspiron 6400 to internet with Dell wireless 1390 WLAN mini

Thanks for your precious suggestion; I did try a different network as per your suggestion. It worked very well at the library but I actually felt that the network was not quite secure.

After that when I turned off WPA-PSK, the wireless worked fine and continued for half an hour which was the longer ever this machine stayed with a network connection.

But I truly don’t want to run the network without WPA, so therefore please try to suggest me something else.

Seems like the entire Dell laptops of this model come up with this issue, I too have the same laptop installed with the same WLan mini card in it.
    In my case everything work perfectly alright and also the machine connects to the network smoothly. But then after few minutes the system somehow crashes the wireless network. I mean to say that the Inspiron laptop and the other machines that are connected to the network is disconnected and due to this the wireless network that I have no longer exist in the list of the networks that are showed up.

Seems like the entire Dell laptops of this model come up with this issue, I too have the same laptop installed with the same WLan mini card in it.
    I guess you need to make some correction in your statement, not just this model but also some other models of Dell Laptops are showing up the same behavior. I have a Dell Inspiron 2501 with the same network cards, 1390 WLAN and Broadcom.

It does the same thing same as in your case. Crashes my home wireless network after a smooth working for at least half an hour, all my network wireless connections get fail. But somehow everything is recovered after few minutes.

Make sure that you are running all the latest drivers especially Dell wireless 1390. Also see to it that the Broadcom wireless driver is updated with the latest version.
    I have the latest firmware updated router of Dlink 514. Whenever I face any issue the first thing I see to is that the related drivers and hardware are updated with their latest version.

Try out the following thing:
    1. Unplug the router and turn off the system wifi
    2. Control panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager
    3. Now click on the + Next to network Adapater option
    4. After that just click on the DELL WIRELESS 1390 WLAN mini card
    5. Now you can see a window pop up, over there select the Advanced Tab
    6. Into it click on Manage wireless settings
    7. Under it, change to disable and click OK
    Hopefully everything will work well from now.

Is there anyone who can let me know what exactly could have went wrong, this a complete brand new laptop I bought last week.
    Not sure with what went wrong but I somehow managed to get a work around for this problem by disabling Dell 1390 WLAN card and then installed a Dlink USB wireless adapter.

Once you disable in the Manage Wireless settings and click OK, you should be able to revert your manager back to the windows one. And as per the suggestion if you have kept your wifi turned off, you can now turn it on without any issue.

Also make sure that you plug in your Router and also the signal should be able to pick up. Once everything is set again you can now go to internet and start it. Hope fully you will be not facing any issue now onwards.
    And even if any abnormal behavior is encountered just see to it that reboot your machine and check it again, definitely things will work out for you.

Also see to it that the Broadcom wireless driver is updated with the latest version.
    Some people do not even know that the Broadcom chipset is being used by Dell wireless card. I thoroughly checked out the official Dell support site and there I found the version for the latest Dell driver for the 1390 card i.e. A22 only for both windows XP and windows Vista. There is no way from which you can make out that the driver for the 1390 is a Broadcom driver.