Thread: What can I do to fix Seagate 7200.11 Bricked hard disk q

What can I do to fix Seagate 7200.11 Bricked hard disk q

Is there a way by which I can fix a bricked hard disk. The disk shows up super slow speed and sometime does not work at all. I had seen the issue lies with the disk motor which is not spinning at full speed. This is simply a hard fault. How to check this and what measure can I take here.

Re: What can I do to fix Seagate 7200.11 Bricked hard disk q

Not sure about much hardware thing, but I think you are going to loose warranty if you open it or make any changes. Simply go for a replacement if the disk is under warranty. The disk motor or any other stuff is hardware failure and this is for sure that such disk might not survive for longer time. Check the serial number in Seagate size and verify the warranty status. If the disk is still under warranty get a replacement.

You had not mentioned which hard drive you are using Seagate 7200.11 is a series. The issue can be due to low power. So if you had already a drive connected to your system then there is one option you can try. Connect the drive to any external enclosure. External hard disk enclosure comes with external power supply. They get ample of power source to carry out large copy paste option and so they work smoothly. I had did the same and now I am using my 3TB drive on a NAS device. Do not spoil the product by making changes with your own hand. You might not find any stuff on web and if you open it you will loose your warranty.

What more you can do is get a firmware update. A firmware update might fix up the issue that your drive is facing. You mentioned that the motor is not spinning on full rate. This shows low power issue.

There are certain tools that can be used to determine whether the drive can or cannot work. Like HD Sentinel, HDDScan, Smartmontools, HxD, etc. This tools will tell you about your current drive status. Run and scan your system and then check back.

It is right that you should go for replacement. A bricked drive can have serious hardware issue and there might less time it can survive. It is right to use the above tools atlseat you can get a overview what is the exact issue with the drive.