Thread: How to give exception to pop-up blocker for selected sites in Internet Explorer 9?

How to give exception to pop-up blocker for selected sites in Internet Explorer 9?

I have a domain group policy that specifies sites which gives exceptions to the Internet Explorer pop-up blocker which worked perfect with previous version. However, it didn’t seem to work fine with IE 9.

The policy is User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Pop-up allow list. I am using wildcards: e.g. *.microsoft.com.

Re: How to give exception to pop-up blocker for selected sites in Internet Explorer 9?

I never noticed this in my system. However, I guess you should create a new policy with the GMPC, it might require an ADM update. Verify both the original and new policies are being applied with gpresult /r and rsop.msc

Re: How to give exception to pop-up blocker for selected sites in Internet Explorer 9?

Quote Originally Posted by Kordell View Post
    I never noticed this in my system. However, I guess you should create a new policy with the GMPC, it might require an ADM update. Verify both the original and new policies are being applied with gpresult /r and rsop.msc
    If that dint worked, try the following solutions also.
    • Try Clearing all user specified entries from the pop-up exception list and manually added one of the sites to the list as a limited user.

• Verify if the specified sites are present in HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\New Windows\Allow

I think, I have a better solution. Try it out and let me know if this works.

To get around this problem, install KB2530309, and then navigate to:

1. User Config > Preferences > Control Panel Settings - Internet Settings
    2. Right click Internet Settings > New > Internet Explorer 8 (Note: With the KB2530309 fix, this applies to both IE8 and IE9).
    3. Select the Privacy tab > Settings. Enter your Pop-up exceptions here and apply changes.
    4. Now run gpupdate /force on your workstation or restart your workstation. Pop-up exceptions will now work correctly with IE9.