Thread: Opera consuming 2GB RAM; server names consume 1.5 GB out of it.

Opera consuming 2GB RAM; server names consume 1.5 GB out of it.

I use Windows 7 with system consisting of 3 GB RAM. Whenever I use Opera 11.60, the processes in Task Manager show 2 GB of Ram is being utilized for working of Opera out of which 1.5 GB is eaten by Server names. I use opera 11.60 with default skin. I have been using Opera for lot of time till now; its previous versions required 500-600 MB of RAM which was normal. But in my case something is wrong. Can someone help me solve this problem?

Re: Opera consuming 2GB RAM; server names consume 1.5 GB out of it.

This problem occurs when you open huge amount of tabs, generally around 50 to 60. I used to open such tabs in Opera. This would lead to consumption of huge amount of RAM. Moreover, if more than 2 or 3 tabs are playing a video or flash enabled program, then it again takes large amount of RAM. Another problem caused due to this was that Opera would freeze or crash unexpectedly. After restarting Opera, restoring the previous tabs would again cause the same problem.

I too encountered the same problem once. I thought that Opera was corrupt and was not functioning properly. So I uninstalled Opera and reinstalled it. Reinstalling solved the problem but it again started the same problem after 3 to 4 days. At this instance I used to notice that Opera used to consume 50% to 55% of my processor and RAM.

Opera on my system used to create such problems. I researched on t and found a way to solve it. It provides a temporary relief but is worth the time required for uninstalling and reinstalling Opera. Again uninstalling and reinstalling Opera leads to loss of data in form of history and bookmarks. In My case, some pages won’t load, usually with heavy content like images and videos. Some pages would be rendered in broken format. It would even disturb the layout of browser by displaying buttons as black. This problem was being caused due to plug-ins I had installed in Opera. Clearing Cache memory and uninstalling some plug-ins helped me.

You can use this software by name Memory Booster by Rizonesoft. This software manages the memory efficiently. It will allocate the memory to every application as per its need and will release memory space that is not being used for use of another process. With this software you can control the amount of memory each process must consume. In your case, you can allocate 600 MB of RAM to Opera. So in no case will Opera consume more than 600 MB of RAM. The software’s setup file is attached below.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Another reason for Opera consuming more memory is that it doesn’t release free memory well. If Opera requires some amount of RAM to complete a task, it takes it. But once the Task is complete it does not release the memory neither does it utilize for the new processes. So I think Memory Optimization or control softwares as mentioned above will help. Opera might soon release a stable version of browser.

The Memory Booster software works for my system with good result. Previously when Opera was running, it would consume 1.2 to 1.5 GB of memory space. But now while doing the same amount of work, Opera consumes only 700 to 850 MB of RAM. So I suppose this is one bug or glitch that Opera developers should work on.