Thread: How can a desktop browser identify itself as a mobile device?

How can a desktop browser identify itself as a mobile device?

I reside at a remote rural part of US where I can only afford a dial-up internet access as they do not offer DLS. Now the issue is that I am not satisfied using my desktop to browse the web which is actually practically useless even after having Opera turbo enabled. There are other accelerators which offer bit support with not so satisfying images.

So I just wanted to know whether there is any possible way to have the desktop browser identifies itself as a mobile device.

rajni Guest

Re: How can a desktop browser identify itself as a mobile device?

Hey friend I guess I can’t help you out completely with this doubt but surely I would love to give you some related information. As according to my knowledge, I think the menus and the shortcuts which were possibly able to this are removed from the Opera. Just now I tried searching things related to this issue and unfortunately I was unable to find in Opera 11.01.

You can easily get some solution by doing the related quick search on web; you can search for “handheld devices” or “handheld mode” or also “small screen”. I am sure you can get lots of related information.

According to my information I guess you can enable Opera 9.2 shortcuts with having the current Opera 11.01. for this you need to do:
    • Ctrl+F12
    • Advanced
    • Shortcut
    • Keyboard setup
    • Opera 9.2 Compatible

After doing this just use Shift+F11 to toggle the mobile view ON and OFF.

Yeah that’s the right way. But I would like to tell you that you can also create your own buttons or shortcut if enabling those shortcuts using the above steps doesn’t impresses you or conflicts with the shortcuts which you have become used or accustomed to. But I think enabling will be fit to wide so make it small if possible.

You can add shortcuts such as: F11 Alt = Enable handheld mode | Disable handheld mode

To be simple, I think the default shortcut has already been removed unless and until we use the 9.2 compatible keyboards. I believe that the reason for this to happen must be too many users accidentally entering the handheld mode and was unable to understand what had happened.

And I also think that now there is not much point in adding back the default shortcuts, anyone who knows about the hand-held mode and if they are willing to re-enable it can easily do it.

You can add shortcuts such as: F11 Alt = Enable handheld mode | Disable handheld mode
    To do the trick in opera 9.5 you need Opera 10.x or most probably in opera 11.x. and if you choose an older version of opera you can most probably find the shortcut on the menu. The Opera 10.10 has the view menu that has the small screen option. But for the latest version you will have to search and find out a lot in order to get that option.

I guess the only place that exist the command for the shortcuts in the opera is the web panel. I am not sure but I guess either that’s the only one that has been accidently placed in or maybe the other options are missing accidentally.

And I also think that now there is not much point in adding back the default shortcuts, anyone who knows about the hand-held mode and if they are willing to re-enable it can easily do it.
    Suppose if I am a new user then how come I will be able to learn about the feature if that thing is completely hidden from my eyes.

You know what exactly the real issue is, it’s actually to spoof the websites and making them believe that the browser is on the mobile device. If you try you will come to know, it says that "Your browser and/or device is not supported, and some features may not work properly. (Error:4)".

Also I believe that for testing, low bandwidth optimization and other legitimate reasons make sense for opening a mobile website on a non-mobile browser.

Suppose if I am a new user then how come I will be able to learn about the feature if that thing is completely hidden from my eyes.
    Simple as anyone else do when they cannot find some features which they need, get into the official forums and ask the question. You know there are lots of features that are even now hidden away in opera:config. The small screen rendering doesn’t seems to be a good choice according to me.

Better you download opera mini emulator for windows which is really good. I always use it when my download limit is exceeded, as my limit is 25GB and after it exceed this 25GB of limit my download speed is reduced to 50kbps from 512kbps.

You should edit the user agent. Have you ever tried to show up the page for mobiles using Google? You can easily pretend to load big images with the dial up, you know now a days websites are too heavy on them. You can turn off the images and only use the needed and the necessary ones.

The options are very much easy to access in opera. When I had dialed up, it was one of the features which literally made me adopt Opera when I had dialed up. I think you should definitely use the users to turn off the flash loading and replace with the icons that load when they are clicked.