Thread: The address bar in Opera 11.60 works differently as compared to previous versions.

The address bar in Opera 11.60 works differently as compared to previous versions.

I was using Opera 11.52 for many months. Now just 2 days back I update my Opera browser to version 11.60. In the previous version, whenever I typed an address or search query it would show a drop down list with suggestions of closest to it. But in Opera 11.60 this function is not available. The list in 11.52 would even show bookmarks in the list. Is there any way to get that list in 11.60?

re: The address bar in Opera 11.60 works differently as compared to previous versions.

The search results generated by Opera were not as accurate as that of Google, as it added bookmarks and history among the original search results. This led to duplication of results. In Google, If you searched ‘Rock’, It will first confirm ‘Rock’ in terms of Geographical rock, Rock Music or Rock for something else. So this was not used in Opera search.

re: The address bar in Opera 11.60 works differently as compared to previous versions.

In the previous version I used to bookmark some webpage or website and I used to forget about it. Next time when I required it I used to type few alphabets and it would show related bookmarks along with search results. Opera used to compile all the bookmarks in a single location. Now in the new version of Opera, I need to place all my bookmarks in one folder. Every time I need to take it’s backup to protect. In short, older version of Opera had an automated central system for bookmarks.

When one types a web address in address bar of an browser, its information is stored in server. So that’s why it shows previous preferences. But in Search Engine it is not done so. When one used to type keywords in Opera’s address bar, it used to store possible keywords in their server leading to loss of privacy of users. Thus, to avoid this, Opera removed this function.

The drop down list which was present in older version of Opera had less length. So if someone wanted to enter a big URL or a URL along with its sub pages, then it was impossible to see the previous text. Moreover it only showed URL, in Google search after we get the result it also gives us a brief summary of what are the contents of the link. Due to its sort length, it was impossible to see the further extension of the link.

The function of search was useless for working on offline pages. If I typed ‘http://localsite/’ , it would give me results like local address. Even when working on offline files it would create multiple virtual hosts which were useless. Another thing that was bad in it was that some URLs consist of % or special characters in it. It would suggest me web pages from Wikipedia in different languages.

To accommodate multiple suggestions the search results in drop down list were extremely small. This would result in clicking of wrong result many times. Also if you added a single letter to your search query, the next drop down list was completely different. So it was useless in most of the cases.

The worst thing about the drop down list in older version of Opera was that it showed different pages of same website as different search queries. For example,
    www. Examplewebsite.com
    www. Examplewebsite.com/page1
    www. Examplewebsite.com/page2
    www. Examplewebsite.com/page3 and so on.
    It was really annoying.