Thread: How to work safely on Firefox Nightlies and precautions to be taken while being a good nightly builder

How to work safely on Firefox Nightlies and precautions to be taken while being a good nightly builder

I am trying my hand on building add-ons for Firefox products. For that I am using Firefox Nightly. Can any experienced user help me safely work on Nightly without risking stability of my system.

re: How to work safely on Firefox Nightlies and precautions to be taken while being a good nightly builder

It is good that you are trying nightly. To encourage you I suggest you to try trunk (Cm2.1-M1.9) and CAMINO_2_0_BRANCH (Cm2.0-M1.9) nightlies. The more you work on them for start, the more you will understand the stability of Nightly. When working on nightlies, many changes are made toyour profile folder and its files. This may result in loss of stability and compatibility.

re: How to work safely on Firefox Nightlies and precautions to be taken while being a good nightly builder

As a experienced nightlies builder, I can suggest you some precautions one should take before working in nightly.
    1] Make a backup copy of profile folder (~/Library/Application Support/Camino) before working on nightlies. This applies even for trunk (Cm2.1-M1.9) and CAMINO_2_0_BRANCH (Cm2.0-M1.9) nightlies.
    2] Keep making backup of data periodically in short period of time.
    3] While working on nightlies if you find system to be unstable and still you need to run some tests on nightly then use Troubleshooting Camino. In this troubleshooting Camino, an temporary profile folder is created in which the tests are run.

While working on nightlies if you encounter any bugs, uninstall third party add-ons you are using. This third party add-ons and hacks reproduces the bugs and errors. If even after removing third party add-on you get bugs, then contact Camilo developers.