Thread: Porting a number to Google Voice and scrapping the text plan, good idea?

Porting a number to Google Voice and scrapping the text plan, good idea?

I am thinking to get a new number and plus I am thinking about porting that old number to the Google voice and using it as only for texting. The new number that I get will be only used for the calling purpose and nothing else. So will I be able to do that or not? Yes I will be missing some key features such as mms and all but that’s ok for me. So what is your take for this? Tell me?

Re: Porting a number to Google Voice and scrapping the text plan, good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by $o$^ View Post
    I am thinking to get a new number and plus I am thinking about porting that old number to the Google voice and using it as only for texting. The new number that I get will be only used for the calling purpose and nothing else. So will I be able to do that or not? Yes I will be missing some key features such as mms and all but that’s ok for me. So what is your take for this? Tell me?
    Yes that’s a definitely good idea but the only problem with the Google voice is that sometimes the sms service is very slow and it might happen that your message will take longer time to get delivered. Plus there is no delivery report feature in the Google voice which can give you a confirmation that the message has actually reached. So there are some of the negative points. Anyways if you are ok with them then you can very well go with the Google voice only.

I was considering this option but I later turned it down. Since Google voice will only deal with the messaging and I have to deal with a large amount of data as well as the phone calls both the features are not made available by the Google Voice. So that’s why I don’t want to go with it.

One more downside of the Google voice is that it will not be useful for you when you are having free mobile to mobile minutes, whatever you talk will be charged. Basically Google voice is your land line and nothing else.

Dude you will be allowing the Google people to see whom are you calling, and view all the text messages that you are messaging. They will be sharing all the data with their marketers, that’s their actual plans and nothing else. So if you are very much concerned with the privacy of your conversation and data better stay away fro the Google voice. That’s all I want to warn you all.

What if someone calls on my number that I had posted for texting what then? Which number will be displayed in the display? I want to know about that, can you all please tell me. I am waiting for your response?

Quote Originally Posted by $Nakul$ View Post
    What if someone calls on my number that I had posted for texting what then? Which number will be displayed in the display? I want to know about that, can you all please tell me. I am waiting for your response?
    If your number has been assigned to the Google voice account then it will forward the call to you otherwise it will just push to your Google voice voicemail.

Ok that means if someone is calling me on my number then I have the advantage of receiving the call without even exposing the real number as well. so that’s the added benefit that I have. I would love to have that feature in me as well. so that’s why I would switch to Google voice now instantly. I know that some of my text messages will be there in their server and also my calls history will be there with them but that’s ok as far as my not getting to reveal my real identity in front of them. That’s what I know here. I loved this feature.

Are there any updates for Google voice such that they can allow the MMS feature as well for the phone. How good it would be having that feature in the google voice as well.

No sorry dude google voice don’t update at all, yes they are working on that feature and they might come up with that one as well. but you may never know when they will and when they wont.