Thread: Safari crashing due to Flash player 10.4 on Mac OS X 10.5.8

Safari crashing due to Flash player 10.4 on Mac OS X 10.5.8

The Flash player 10.4 crashing in Mac OS X 10.5.8 when using it with Safari. I tried the re-install but not solved. I don’t wanna get the latest version as I was happy with this so far. The issue was started yesterday. Is there any workaround? If I update the Flash player will it work properly in Mac OS X?

Re: Safari crashing due to Flash player 10.4 on Mac OS X 10.5.8

I am also using the Mac and installed the latest version of Flash as well as the Safari. I didn’t get any issues like this. Anyway you should try clear Safari cache and cookies, and then restart Safari to try again. You can get the latest version but for that you need to upgrade the Mac also. See on Adobe site about which version of Mac OS X is compatible with latest Flash player and then decide.

I am using the OS X 10.6.6 with Safari 5.0.3. Everything is up to date in it. Have you tried the different browser like Firefox or Chrome to check the flash player? Well I think that you are using only the default browser. Its fine. Just go in to the main library folder and then into the "internet plugins" folder. Look for the flashplayer.xpt and flash player.plugin and delete them. Now restart the system and install the flash player again. If you have enabled the Flash automatic updater, then it should have updated it but it didn’t. So I think that the updater is not overwriting the files.

Thanks for your useful information.

I have verified that the Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Safari 5.03 along with Adobe Flash Player 10.4 specs are perfectly fine and compatible to each other. I have tried all the workarounds to get it to work but no result. So I just wanted to know what other people experiencing. The issue was solved when I reverted back to older Flash. I am sure that Adobe will gonna read it.

Recently I have Downloaded 10.5.8 combo update from the Apple site for Mac OS X and it has fixed permissions, all is well. Now the problem started with this and Safari won’t work with the Flash anymore.

It is not a big issue though and you can solve it by following simple steps. First of all Quit Safari and then open the Finder window. Move toward home folder> Library folder >Preferences folder and look for a file named"com.apple.Safari.plist". Drag this file to desktop. Now launch the Safari and check if the problem persists. This file automatically recreated with default settings. You can either use the old plist file or can replace with the new one.

I am not sure how to resolve this problem, if it is really a bug in Flash or Safari. In Windows machine, we can kill the process to secure the browsing. When it happens to me, I will simply kill the "plugin-container.exe" task. This will help me to stop flash and unfreeze browser. Then you can continue your work without losing anything from the Windows. On the flash content stop appearing.

Some here asked about repairing the permissions. There is an easy way to repair OS X Permissions and it may help you to solve the crashing issue.
    • Click on the left-hand side of your dock where you can see image.
    • Click Go >Utilities> Open Disk Utility
    • In that choose the startup disk from the Disk Utility window
    • Go to First Aid tab and Click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button

If you are looking for to get the latest version of Adobe flash, then I urge you to get the Flash uninstaller to completely remove the defunct software. After that only move on fresh install from Adobe. However before that new installation make sure to repair disk permissions using Apple's Disk Utility as told above. Otherwise you can also use the MAc OS X Install Disk to repair.

It is really odd to hearr that most of the security issues addressed recently were Flash related which caused the Mac OS X to hack and become vulnerable. The Flash plug-in was the main threat for Apple with a whopping 55 vulnerabilities which lead to arbitrary code execution. For that reason apple is backing away to get the Flash plug-in in its product. Apple already started shipping MacBook Air without Flash. It is also reported that Flash consumes much amount of Batter Life.

I believe that this issue was recognized during the release of Flash Player 11. But then it was solved by the apple itself. However if you want to install Flash player 11 you must have the OS X to 10.6 or greater. If you still having the crash problem even with its new version then better contact the Apple or Adobe.

i have mac osx 10.5.8 and i cant get flashplayer version for this?