Thread: Skype asking for a country code while calling

Skype asking for a country code while calling

I reside at US. I am using skype application in my android Smartphone. Most probably I use it for making calls within the country. But still I am unable to make a single call using this app. whenever I try to call someone it shows me an error and tells me to enter a country code. When I enter a number, I type the number followed by 1 and then when I hit the call button, I receive an error message “Wrong number. Please include country code (e.g. +44 1234567)”. The problem is that the application itself knows that I am calling within the country because it shows the US flag beside the number which I dial. I tried all the possible ways to make the call but still giving me the same error. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Re: Skype asking for a country code while calling

Is there no such function which can add the country code by default? If not then I would request the skype support and the designers to please try out this suggestion. It would be very much helpful for all the skype users as they all find it difficult and also their time is wasted while adding the country code whenever they make a call. I am one amongst them, that’s the reason I am suggesting this option. Even I am facing the same issue and getting the same error while dialing my MS Outlook contacts.

If you add 1 before adding the successive numbers then definitely you should be able to get connected. I am not sure whether there is any space or any special character that has to be entered in between 1 and the numbers. Buy why don’t you try and do some R and D, I would personally suggest you to include a space between 1 and the contact number and if not working then try out adding + in place of the space.

I tried all the possible option which came in my mind. The problem is too serious, to select 1 in the country code while dialing a number is a becoming a big problem. I am deciding to switch from skype and looking forward to use google voice. As said above skype should add a default option of selection US country code when faced any problem.

Adding space and + is the correct solution but the placements were not perfect.
    You all need to add a + sign before 1 and then enter a space then continue with the number which you need to dial. This should definitely work.
    If not then again edit everything and add 00 before 1 because as far as I know 011 is the country code of US but again it makes no difference if we place a + sign in place of 011. Try it out; I am sure it would definitely work.

No other option left, please help me out. You would not believe I have tried all the possible combination including the one suggested above but result is still the same. Here is some of the combination I tried:

+19801234567
    +1 9801234567
    +0019801234567
    +11234567
    +01119801234567

Here you can assume that 980 is the area code and 1234567 the contact number. Actually I didn’t mention the actual number and area code for privacy concerned. At least now you can make out the number of possibilities I have tried and try suggesting me other alternative ideas.

Yeah the country code of US is 011. But remember you need to add both the country code as well as the country code followed by the + sign. +011 1(area code)(phone number) , I hope by looking at this example you must have understood the necessary number to be dialed while dialing any number within the country(US).
    In the above example as given, you need to first enter a + sign followed by the US country code i.e. 001 and then the area code which indeed comes along with the phone number so you need have to worry about it. hope everything is clear for everyone who got confused.

Let me tell you that I am a citizen of the same country (US) since my birth. And I am very well aware of the country code, area code and the contact number and I also know how to dial them. I just mean to say that the problem I am facing does not lie in the number combination.
    There is something wrong with the application as I dial the number perfectly but still it gives me the same error again and again. I bought a skype 2 years subscription a week ago. But now I think I need to cancel the subscription.

I've had this same problem. Numbers that used to work perfectly now don't work, even if I add a + or +1 or whatever. I'm going to try uninstalling the app and reinstalling.

If you have the normal Skype version then you can install the beta version of it and if you are having the beta version then you can install the normal version of it. Don uninstall and reinstall that. Let it install over he previous one.

I just reinstalled and so far that seems to have fixed the problem.

Simply putting + in the starting then 1 without any space and then entering the phone number also work out. I tried and it worked. No need to include space and country code and all. Why to follow such complicated tricks. I attempted this idea several time and it worked every time. If you still didn’t get, then not an issue I will provide you the example:
    +10706006554
    Here 0706006554 is the phone number and as I said + sign and 1 are entered before the phone number without any space.

I had this same problem today. I tried all combinations(+1, +0011,+01 ...), except for adding spaces because you cannot add spaces in the keypad.

Skype used to work so i'm not sure what changed. In fact skype can no longer even call one of its own contacts.

i just rebooted my HTC android phone and it fixed the problem.

go figure