Thread: How to install "Octoshape Grid Delivery enhancement" in Safari 5.1

How to install "Octoshape Grid Delivery enhancement" in Safari 5.1

There is a problem in my OS X Lion 10.7 and I hope that somebody will have a solution for that. There is no way I can install "Octoshape Grid Delivery enhancement" in Safari 5.1. it need to be installed through CNN website. There reason is, the system does not allow me press any option. Without the installation I no longer able to view the CNN live videos. So how can I fix this?

Re: How to install "Octoshape Grid Delivery enhancement" in Safari 5.1

As far as I know that the Octoshape Grid Delivery enhancement available to install in Adobe Flash Player. The good thing is by installing you can view higher quality video streams. This is very much necessary for a browser in order to offer faster start up of content along with very less buffering as well as interruptions. The enhancements will be installed as an add-in for the Adobe Flash Player. You can easily uninstall it whenever you want. So do think that it is a plug-in or extension for your safari browser. If the safari browser does not able to open the downloaded file, you can download and install it from the different browser I think.

That makes sense but it if it kind of extension then do the following:

Safari / Preferences / Advanced, then set the hook at the bottom: Menu developer in the menu bar. Then set in Safari / developer the option Activate extensions now appear in the Safari preferences, the point extensions.

It seems to me that you are not able to install the Octoshape Grid Delivery enhancement via browser directly. You need to download it separately then go for the installation. The important thing is After installing the Octoshape software, you are granted for Octoshape, the website and with other users to use and share your computing power for the limited purpose for communication and improving bandwidth efficiency for the purpose of smooth streaming.

The report says that Octoshape Grid Delivery is a peer-to-peer app that, effectively, uses the subscriber’s system with Internet connection in order to make an ad-hoc distribution network for CNN. The researchers confirmed that it is still being installed during the first attempt when fan views any streaming CNN program feed. They have also told that the CNN feed detect it on your system and activate it without your knowledge. Everything being done for their own purposes.

You can also install it manually from the website, this way CNN will not need to prompt you to install. BTW, the same goes for any other Octoshape enabled content like NBA League Pass for example.

Cauvery, I believe the report you are reading is likely quite old, and was probably written by someone who didn't understand the Octoshape technology. Octoshape is primarily a quality based component that can deliver video at high sustained video quality over very long distances. Traditional technologies today have trouble with distance and congestion, and employ aggressive adaptive bit rate techniques to deal with it. Octoshape also does have a suite of multicast technologies associated with it as evidenced by the announcements from the CTO of AT&T; you can read up on it here.

It does have a "simulated multicast" capability, but I think after reading you will find it is not really a peer to peer system, but in certain configurations it can pull data via multiple resilient paths simultaneously including servers, routers, amy relays, and other people watching the same stream.

I think if you read this white paper you will find it is a quite sophisticated transport system.

You might be eager to know whether your computer already running Octoshape or not. To check it first of all right-click in any clear space the Windows Task Bar. After that choose the Task Manager. If can find “octoshape.exe” under processes tab, then assume that you got bug. Mac users can easily remove it by completely deleting the Octoshape folder. So if your safaris prompting you to again install it, then don’t go for it as it is named as bug.