Thread: unnecessary usage of internet in my apple TV

unnecessary usage of internet in my apple TV

I bought a new Apple TV. It is truly very fast and convincing. I enjoy viewing pictures, listening music and watching videos from iTune. Even accessing internet gives me lot of fun, I can surf internet with a high speed. But don’t know why from last 6 days I am experiencing an unnecessary internet usage in my Apple TV. I keep on checking my internet logs and also check out my internet usage tracks, it shows the usage in excess from the time I connect to my TV. I stopped using internet from the day I faced this problem. I have never seen anyone facing such problem and also I never encountered it ever before.

Re: unnecessary usage of internet in my apple TV

You can see me because even I am facing the same problem. You are not the one. Internet drainage problem is also occurring in my apple TV too. But in my apple TV, as soon as I start my TV the downloading starts automatically without any reason although I have not kept any videos or any file in my download list for downloading and not also I have purchased anything from iTunes. Even then my internet is used unnecessarily without any reason in downloading that too with a high speed. When checked my internet log according to the log I have utilized 130 GB till now. Quite strange and unusual.

Let me tell that you are not the only one there are many other people facing the same issue but not with the same device. They face it on their mobile phone, computers etc, I have seen this issue discussed a lot before in this forum too. Anyways speaking about your issue let me tell you that the apple tv does not use any internet bandwidth when it is idle. So I think there must be something wrong with the local network.

Make sure that you are not getting confused between local network and internet network. And please mention which Apple TV you are using its because if you are using an Apple TV 1 then probably you must be using a local network bandwidth, with local network bandwidth Apple TV automatically syncs the content to the hard drive from iTunes unless and until you yourself configure it by yourself.

Yes I am using an Apple TV1. So according to you I am facing this problem just because of the automatic synchronization of my Apple TV content to the hard drive from iTunes.
    I am partially satisfied, it’s because I can believe you completely until this issue is cleared with a proper solution. Hope you even have a solution for the reason of the problem said by you.

As said above you can try to configure your local network bandwidth setting by yourself as mentioned above that your TV automatically sync the content to the hard drive. Or else the other default solution is that you can directly try to reset you TV to factory reset if you have not tried this trick till now. Hope either of the solutions works and your problem stops here.

May be you are watching HD rental movie in excess per week. According to me I think one user is allocated a 30GB usage one weekend just to watch a single movie through. Or else you must have tried watching a single movie by restarting/re-watch or watch it through out again and again. Restarting or re-watching the movie requires the complete HD even if the view or rental period has expired. And playing local iTunes contents or watching a whole movie trailer flushes the rented stream from memory.

I am not at all a technical person. I got a brand new modem when I faced this problem, getting a new modem was suggested by my ISP. But guess what still the problem remained the same. I have a very limited internet usage of 4 GB. After getting the new modem when I used my internet it used over 800 MB.
    I don’t have any other object or device switched on which has the ability of getting connected to the internet. I even never connected my Apple TV to any other device other than connecting it to my iPhone for playing stored music of my iPhone. Whenever I go on to start the airplay my entire internet download is used up.

My apple TV still eats up the bandwidth. I bought the TV just to stream music from my laptop to the home theater but those results in speeding up of the internet usage. Initially I use to play Netflix in my laptop but my bandwidth always remained constant and at a normal level. Now I have switched off my apple TV for a while until I get a proper solution from the care center.

There should not be such problem as you are only streaming local music and not using a music application to play it and not also using iTunes, definitely your apple TV should not be using any data.
    Even then I would suggest you to check out your phone or laptop which connects the Apple TV just to make sure that they doesn’t have any other source running which can possibly access internet.

In my case too the downloading uses to start automatically without any reason as soon as I use to start up my apple TV. I was very much confused. Anyways I think for the downloading issue, there could be chances of some hidden content or files present in you download list which is most probably invisible to your eyes but it’s carrying out its activity of download and using up your internet usage. Sometime it happens that the content which we are downloading hides automatically or becomes invisible in the list. I don’t know whether there is any such option available in the apple TV where you can hide or unhide content like in computer.
    I never broke my head in finding out these activities. In my case I switched off my apple TV and unplugged it and approached the care center to provide me with a new billing cycle.