Thread: Cannot Find my attachments after upgrade to outlook 2010

Cannot Find my attachments after upgrade to outlook 2010

i hope this question hasnt been addressed yet and I apologize if it has. I recently upgraded my old 2003 into the newer outlook 2010 with windows 7 on a new laptop. I have a number of issues here that are frustrating me that I would like some help with.

1 - Every single email that copied over lost its receive date (shows up as none now)
    2 - Every email that had an attachment or document (any extension) has seemed to have lost that attachment now. I cannot find it anywhere.
    3 - the old emails all went into a main "outlook data file" while all new emails went into specific categories based on which account i was receiving. All the old emails were to an address I still use today but none of them went into that category before the switch date.

This is insanely frustrating since many contracts and pricing agreements were in my old emails and I cannot get any of those attachments now. The old emails do not even show that there was an attachment on the email.

Can anyone help? I can still get into my old laptop and I can try to do a new switch if someone out there can help me find how to do it.

thanks for your help everyone

Re: Cannot Find my attachments after upgrade to outlook 2010

You must have taken a proper backup of your mails folder before doing a upgrade. The reason can be due to incompatibility of files. Before you loose anything, you will need to first find the location of mails stored. Right click on Inbox > Properties > Advance. You can see the location there. Backup the folders. I am not sure that on upgrade outlook removes the old mail boxes. Backup and try to import folders back again.

i thought i had done it properly. I followed the directions they give exactly. But I suppose It is possible too that maybe I did miss a step. Is there a way that you know of to get the emails all into one folder instead of them defaulting into an unused folder?
    for example, my outlook has the following folders:

Outlook Data file
    email@company A
    email@company B
    email@company C

so what i mean is, can I get the old emails, which were for company A, to file into and below the emails existing in the email@company A folder instead of all the old stuff funneling into Outlook Data file?

thanks for your help. i really appreciate it!

Can you confirm if you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook. If you have, please uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again. You will still be sufficiently protected by your on-access scanner part of the virus scanner. If the problem persists after this, you can try to empty your Outlook Temp folder and try again.

Hi,
    I have a similar problem...I had archived my outlook 2010 emails at work in the "archive" file. I copied this file onto my external portable hard drive. I bought Outlook 2010 (as a part of Office 2010-Home and Business) for my home laptop. I linked the archive file to the Outlook on my home PC. When I tried to open the files with attachment, all I see is the file listed but no attachment (see the example below)! This only happens to the files older than Dec 31, 2011...All the newer emails (newer than Jan 01, 2012) with attachment are perfectly fine!

E.g. of the messed up email with word attachment (from Dec 15, 2011):
    ....It will be great if you can send me your feedback by noon tomorrow. I will then quickly incorporate your thoughts then we can circulate the finalized version.

Many thanks
    xxxx
    <<
    Important.doc (39.0KB)

(39.0KB)
    >>
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by krsn1; 16-03-2012 at 09:27 AM.