Thread: Unable to install Opera in Ubuntu 11.10

Unable to install Opera in Ubuntu 11.10

I have just freshly installed the Ubuntu 11.10. After the completion of installation I have noticed that I am no longer able to install the opera 11.51. Whenever I am trying to install opera it gives me an error msg saying that can’t open the .deb file, it might be corrupt. I don’t know what’s wrong with this thing because I have downloaded it from the official site. I have tried again downloading twice but still no use.

Re: Unable to install Opera in Ubuntu 11.10

As you have noticed, Opera is not in the Ubuntu Software Center. To install, you have to download the package from their official website and then install or by Gdebi (which currently does not work in Ubuntu 11.10) or Terminal. Let an option to download the form by default, as this will download as a. Deb. To install Terminal let you navigate to the directory where we downloaded the package. Once in the directory, enter the below command:
    Code:
     sudo dpkg-i package.deb
    Replacing, obviously, "tupaquete.deb" by the name of the downloaded Opera package. You will see that in Terminal gives a dependency error. To solve this, put the next command:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install-f
    After this command, Opera will install without any problems.

When installing Ubuntu 11.10 you noticed that you cannot install any. Deb Gdebi, do not despair. The problem is that Gdebi, momentarily; it seems that it does not resolve the package dependencies, from there to skip the error

In the event of a system without a browser (or temporarily unable to use the graphical environment) prefer to run an apt-get rather than turn over the site works with Lynx

And 'possible to install the excellent browser Opera on Ubuntu Linux, as well as downloading the package format. deb from the manufacturer, including via the repository of official Opera Software . In this way, the installation will be simplified, it will automatically install any dependencies (other required packages) and also Opera, like all the other programs installed with the distribution, will be constantly updated.

I too have recently had some problems with the Opera authentication repository, which I solved by installing the package debian-archive-keyring: