Thread: How to setup all Wi-Fi Access Points with the same SSID?

How to setup all Wi-Fi Access Points with the same SSID?

I'm reconfiguring my home Wi-Fi setup. I have 4 access points, all are associated (Wired) to my midway switch. I could prefer to have every one of them setup with the same SSID, Password and Channel so people can meander around the house without needing to switch to an additional ID, and this way its quite simple to recollect. Will this work? All are running dd-wrt.

Re: How to setup all Wi-Fi Access Points with the same SSID?

Put them on distinction channels for the purpose that they don't interfere (well, you generally unquestionably just have 3 channels to play with, so put the 2 most drastically inaccessible APs on the same channel) If you put all your APs same SSID, same secret key and same encryption technique-then you will get seamless roaming among APs.

I'm not confident regarding "a project to set the SSID". I utilize the net interface to set the SSID. Finally, I'm seeing a ton of issues around frameworks not legitimately joining to the network. I'll reasonable actually backtrack to split SSIDs for each and every AP.

Yes, verify you telecast the SSID. Furnished every last trace of the security settings are the same SSID, and so on then there's positively nothing forestalling a client from joining to the strongest AP it listens to. The just situations are customers like to stay "adhered" to an AP even if there is a preferred one ready. It's not seamless roaming in light of the fact that the APs don't impart key info and you need to endure an entire acquaintanceship, DHCP replenish key/re I key course of action when it moves and that can take seconds.

One trial you are able to attempt is Use WDS to make a network of repeaters-vs same SSID/diff channels. When you do that-uproot the network link from 3 of the repeaters. Have the one AP most halfway found as the one joined to network. This strategy will decrease "for the most part" data transfer power, but with home wifi may not be a major ordeal. Net perusing will be full WAN speed unless you have similar to a 100/5. An additional thing to attempt is decrease the AP check to 3 and guarantee one is situated to 1, one to 6, one to 11, and maybe stay the fourth in WDS with the one on channel 11.

AP check goes past 2 or 3 AP's in-range. (Or regardless its been my interaction that route.) Since just 3 B/G/N diverts are free" (1, 6, 11) regardless 1 of the 4 will be on the same recurrence as others. Not an enormous bargain but if your client isn't amazing at hearing, you could be flipflopping/client might pick to rekey on one then after that catch the alternate as stronger and attempt to rekey on that one. Join in that one should quit transmitting when it catches the different-(crash identification) it gets dicey. The just method I'm conscious to get past that soft restrain is to guarantee the AP's with the same channel are uttermost separated. A different system is to update to a controller based wireless network.

I ran my network such as that for all in all some time. Yet, with buyer access points, handoffs might be a situation. The situation is that the right to gain entrance points will attempt to keep a handle on the customer to the extent that this would be possible even if there is a much stronger sign from a different access indicate.

Rajni Guest

In my house assuming that I associated to AP#1 on one side of the house, then after that walked to the alternate side of the house, I'd still off and on again be associated to AP#1 with unequivocally 1 bar of solidness, although AP#2 was full unyieldingness. Unfortunately, this denoted that while I might regularly surf with that 1 bar solidness, my WiFi speeds could be inauspicious, until the customer chosen to switch to AP#2.

My understanding is that enterprise -class access points will convey with one another and will force a handoff from AP#1 to AP#2 when the indicator from AP#2 is quite stronger.

It's not importantly undertaking-class; its that you need to utilize a controller-based framework. The AP essentially actually handles the hand-off to the customers and the controller devises a workable plan to keep every thinking individual seamlessly moving. Without that you will need to re-session yourself will still fine, but its not seamless.

Setting up AP's as repeaters is really not suggested. You cut your transfer speed 50% each and every jump, each time and that alters the entire network not simply those removed gadgets. A large portion of the time seamless wandering isn't as required as individuals think it may be.