Thread: lost email after upgrading to windows 7

lost email after upgrading to windows 7

Hi, friends I have just upgraded my wife’s HP laptops operating system from windows vista to windows 7 and I was successful doing this but after I check here email account, I saw that all the emails where lost. Is there any way to recover them? I have even took backup from my windows vista system to 4 DVDs before upgrading windows, So guys please help me, because she is going to kill me when she finds out.

Re: lost email after upgrading to windows 7

What kind of email client she is using? If she has set the account using IMAP that is Internet Message Access Protocol, then the message will sync with the server so she must login to mail via the web interface.

if she is using POP3 (Post Office Protocol) then it will download message off the server and then delete them or it leave them there by taking up space. Post Office Protocol is very bad because it doesn’t sync everything, where IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) sync everything and it works well with multiple computers.

First you should let us know which email client she is using because everything is depends on what ever email client she is using. Once I know that what email client she is using I will let you know which specify folder you should look in. Usually it is in C:\Users\yourloginname\AppData but in windows 7 it is in C:\Windows.old\Users\yourloginname\Appdata. So till the time you find out which email client she was using you should keep her away from computer, that’s the only thing that you can do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cauvery View Post
    First you should let us know which email client she is using because everything is depends on what ever email client she is using. Once I know that what email client she is using I will let you know which specify folder you should look in. Usually it is in C:\Users\yourloginname\AppData but in windows 7 it is in C:\Windows.old\Users\yourloginname\Appdata. So till the time you find out which email client she was using you should keep her away from computer, that’s the only thing that you can do it now.
    You can’t view her details stored in C:\Users\yourloginname\AppData folder now because the details were stored in previous operating system that is in windows vista, but it is possible to view if you restore the backup that you have. But are sure that those 4 DVDs are not for the system recovery image which allows you to get back to the factory install of Vista?

Those 4 DVDs back I made was as per instruction of HP that I found in HP upgrade manger disc that came with windows 7 disc. May wife is using Comcast.net email program, but I can’t tell whether she is using IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) or POP3 (Post Office Protocol). So what should I do, should I go back to windows vista to find the lost emails?

If she was using Comcast.net then she just need to sign in her account again and find her email over there because I guess that the emails must stored in Comcast server not in your PC.

I even spoke to Comcast support and I explained them about the missing emails that had been transfer from their server to somewhere in laptop. Since I did not had windows live mail account while installing windows 7 they could not provide any suggestion about where my missing email in my computer might be?
    Quote Originally Posted by FarhaS View Post
    If she was using Comcast.net then she just need to sign in her account again and find her email over there because I guess that the emails must stored in Comcast server not in your PC.
    That makes no sense for me, but still I have checked my wife Comcast email account and it was strange that I found her missing emails in widows live mail. This makes no sense to me because she never had set windows live mail in her windows vista, her all lost emails where transfer to windows live mail. Is there any way to get back the emails from Comcast box so that she doesn’t have to go through few extra steps to see them every time in live mail? I still wonder how come all the emails are got hijacked by windows live mail.

You can send the mails back to Comcast inbox by using windows live mail. But you need program that she uses to check email. After that check the Comcast setting check whether it is set in not to delete emails after opening the email. I guess windows live must set to leave the copy on the server once it is used.

Those mail were obviously already downloaded to into windows mail, and windows live mail is the way to find the mail and she have to go windows mail to check the mail because windows 7 does not randomly download some email from server. But there is not a way to acquire those settings and password unless the account was already setup in windows mail.