Thread: Fixing "Computer appears to be configure correctly but device not responding" error

Fixing "Computer appears to be configure correctly but device not responding" error

How to fix the error Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding. I face this error while accessing internet to my laptop. I have Windows 7 Ultimate. I just removed my old internet connection and bought a another one. Now I configured all fine as per the given settings. But when I try to access internet I am facing the error. I run diagnostic also but nothing worked out. I think everything is properly configured and there is no major issue with my settings. My internet has become more problematic after switching the ISP. I am using a Dlink DSL 320B Ethernet Modem. This is provided by my ISP. At start I some errors but those were re-established and Internet connection was working. But once the connection is drop it take several tries to restore it. What that issues is, god only knows. I reset the modem and also called the ISP guy. They fixed the same but again the same. What is this error related to and how to fix it. Do I will need to change my modem.

When I try to do settings in primary & secondary DNS server manually the connection drops. There is no respond from the DNS. Sometime when I set it on automatically it works somehow. DHCP is active. I tried disabling the IPv6 protocol, to add different DNS. Need more help.

Re: Fixing "Computer appears to be configure correctly but device not responding" error

You can initially try to flush the DNS cache in Windows. This might help you. To do this you click on Start and run cmd. Ensure that you run it in administrator account. Or you can right click on that and choose Run as > Administrator. Provide the admin login id/password if required. There is an simple command that you will need to run to make it work. In the dos windows type - ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter. Now check back again. You can use the modem disc to re-sync the modem connection with the system. I had faced a similar issue before. What I did in my situation is changed the login manager. The dialer which you use to connect to internet. I use Windows service to create an dialer and the modem is set on forever. I do not turn it off. Till now it is working. There is also an reset button at the back of modem. Press that if necessary before performing the above steps.

Re: Fixing "Computer appears to be configure correctly but device not responding" error

Click on Start > and go in Network Connection. In the windows right click on the active network connection. Go to Properties. Now go to Internet Protocol (TCP / IP v4) > Properties. In the window, in the bottom, check on Use the following DNS server addresses and enter the values of your local DNS. You can contact your ISP to provide you the DNS IP.

A DNS server is like a large database that is used to search for a match between the domain name entered and the corresponding IP address. For each domain corresponds to a unique IP. You might want to change those per-configured on the router from our ISP. You can look on web for better DNS server. There are many free dns server that you can use in your system for getting better response. For example Google public dns. There is an utility called DNS BENCHMARK which can help you to perform some test on your server. If your DNS server is not responding then you can change it to the most suitable one with the help of this tool. Use OpenDNS servers they are much safer and faster than the default you use.

Ping and check that the DNS server is responding or not. For that run ping and the ip address of your DNS server in command prompt. Ping command will tell you the response time. If that time is too high or if you are getting some kind of error then there is an fault with the same. What ever settings you do from your side, will not work. This is the job of service provide to give you solution. DNS server failure are most common problem of Internet service provider. The ISP might be facing some problem with their DNS servers and are doing everything possible to get them started again. Just simply wait a few minutes, restart your modem or router and have Internet access again.

When you have an error message DNS Server not responding the causes behind that is several as there are different types of DNS servers. Most people got scared to see this kind of errors but do not fear anything we have not mis-configured error. To ensure this, they can contact your ISP and ask if their DNS servers are working properly and to express your problem. And do not worry to call your ISP hundred time. You are paying for an service and they will have to fix it, what more an end user can do.