Thread: Opera won’t start as it is showing another instance is running though it is closed

Opera won’t start as it is showing another instance is running though it is closed

Hi, I am running Opera 11.5 and I have started getting problem with the newer version as whenever I start the machine and run it for the first time it just won’t appear on the screen and thus whenever we click it to open again, then message comes as another instance is already running and thus we cannot start it again, and this wasn’t happening with earlier versions of opera.

And I had this problem on XP and Windows 7 too.

Any idea what could be the problem, because as this is not opening at all I am not able to run it however.

Re: Opera won’t start as it is showing another instance is running though it is closed

I think your browser seems broken and thus you should try to install it again in your machine, as I know about this because I know about the problem as once the same thing was happened with me by means of internet Explorer. But as this was the default browser and at that I was also quite new to computer so I was not aware about the problem and I have just formatted the machine but you can have option to get it reinstall. But before doing this we should always make sure that all the previous entries rather cache should be deleted in order to clean installation of the same software, if you know about the registry editing then you can delete all the instance created for the software but if you don’t know then you can have option to make use of some registry cleaning software, as after running them they will clean the registry and you can install the newer software again.

Re: Opera won’t start as it is showing another instance is running though it is closed

if suppose another instance is running then you can have option to get it clear, and then try to open it again. I mean to say you have to make sure that the instance which is running is properly closed because it might be possible that it could be running without your knowledge. You might be thinking as it is closed but somehow somewhere it could be running. And that you can figure out from the task manager as you should try to close whole process tree and try to open it again.

Yeah exactly I have the same opinion as the above user but still if this is happening often then reinstallation is the only way to get rid out of it.

If you are still pursuing the same problem then it might be possible that it could be because of some viruses in your machine which is running another instance automatically as you start the browser for the first time. thus are you sure that there isn’t any malicious program running in your machine? if you are not sure then you should get some antivirus software for your machine and make a test so that if there would be any so they will be wiped out.

Thanks for the suggestion guys but I have already installed one in my machine but still it doesn’t show me any such threat running in the PC. I think this might be some compatibility issue with the windows 7 isn’t it? please let me know what shall I do next?

See let me be clear as this is not the compatibility issue because as you have mentioned that the same thing is happening with windows XP as well so how it could be a compatibility issue. But I have doubt with the Viruses only, and though you have installed the antivirus, it would be next to worthless if you don’t take care of it.

I mean to say we need to update it as the newer update gets released, because if you keep running previous one so it would not be affected on the newer virus as the database would be so older to make some decision over here, thus according to my recommendation you should try to update your antivirus first and then test the machine again I hope this time the viruses would be clean for sure.