Thread: Media player in GoogleTV cannot recognize USB Hard Drive

Media player in GoogleTV cannot recognize USB Hard Drive

I have the 40" Sony TV which is with the built-in GoogleTV and recently I have bought the 1TB Western Digital external HD but the problem is that the media player in the TV is not able to recognize it. Many of the times when it get recognized and I try to open that then it shows me the message which says "Cannot Load Data". I have no idea that how can I solve this problem. I am going to visit the dealer again for this but before that I want to give it a try if it is minor issue.

Re: Media player in GoogleTV cannot recognize USB Hard Drive

I would like to tell you that this should be in the FAT32 format in order to function with that. So if you are having any format other than this then you will have to format that it to FAT32 and it will be detected without any problem. This is the first thing that you need to do before doing anything else with that. There are more chances that you will be out of issue after this if you are using some other formatting.

I have the solution for this. So in place connecting that drive straight away to the Sony box, you can make use of the dlna for connecting that to the home computer and you will be able to access the files from there. I originally used crappy Windows Media Player dlna server but replaced that with the ps3mediaserver. This is functioning very well. It's not purposely designed for the googletv but it functions well and extremely quick at the time of drilling down throughout folders and choosing media for play/view.

Visiting to the dealer for the hard drive will be better option for you. As you have bought that new so I am sure that this is in warranty and as it is not working properly then you can take this back to the dealer and get it replaced. This will be the best way for you. If you try something from your side and by mistake you damaged the drive then you will lose the warranty as well as drive.

Your hard drive must be as a mass storage device (MSC) and configured in the FAT32 file system. In addition, partitions may not be on the hard disk and the hard drive must have its own power supply. If this is not the case, the TV cannot access the memory. This may be the reason for the problem that you are facing. If all these are good then replacing that will be the better option for you. Thank you.