Thread: free nas halt while configuring

free nas halt while configuring

I was trying to setup the nas in my home and while doing so it halt while configuring. Well I had setup the static ip and even creating a share and activating the cifs protocol and after all this the share was visible in the windows and when I try to enter the user name and password I was not able to create the file. Does anyone have the similar sort of problem? Please guide me and provide the step by step instruction for freenas 8. Thanks in advanced.

re: free nas halt while configuring

I think there might be the problem due to the write permission or you have not configure it properly as you have not used the tutorial or any sort of guide to do so. Well the tutorial is available for the prior version but you can still apply in the basic version. Well it’s a common problem for the basic users for the write permission. Just search for the tutorial on net and follow the instruction and I’m sure it will going to work for you.

Even I was having the same problem and I had seen the tutorial on the net and its working for me. I was having the problem due to the permission on the share or the CIFS and it was the permission on the mounted drive. If anyone have the similar problem then just go to the storage and from there just click on the volume and from the on your volume change the permission. Make sure you have the right version to get the detail guide.

After installing the freenas in you server you need to configure the freenas by allowing the windows file sharing and even the network browsing. Open the browser and in address bar just type the ip address of the server and then provide the login name and password. and after that change the password from the server setting and after that reboot the server and then refresh the browser after the server start and then after that under disks which is in the management just click on plus and then add new disk and after that select the hard drive in the disk and then allow the hard drive to power down by setting the standby times and then just mount the disk by selecting the mount point which is under the disk option and after that just setup the sharing on the navigation menu and then just select the CIFS/SMB which you will get from the services menu and then a page will open and in that page just click on shares and then under the services just click on the nfs and then you’re done with setting up the freenas.

If you had setup the freenas then just type \\servername in the web browser and then hit enter and after that map the network drive by making use of UNC. You can even shares the point to the sub directories which is in the data like you can create nay folders you want and you can limit the share access. Well there are ton of features which is available in the freenas. Hope this information helps you a lot.