Thread: Unable to view ftp site in Internet Explorer 8

Unable to view ftp site in Internet Explorer 8

I recently installed Opera on my PC. During its first startup, it asked me if I wanted to set it as default browser in my system and I clicked on Yes. I used it for some days and later went back to use Internet Explorer 8. When I started Internet Explorer and entered address of a website, an error message saying, ‘This site cannot be opened in windows explorer’. When I clicked on details, it said that there is an error opening the FTP site. I tried many other websites, but they too failed to open. I am currently using Opera, but I need to fix Internet Explorer, can someone help me?

Re: Unable to view ftp site in Internet Explorer 8

you can try resetting the security settings of Internet explorer to default. If you are using Microsoft Outlook, then see to it that it is not using Internet Explorer 8 as its browser for connectivity. I have seen on many systems that Microsoft Outlook doesn’t work well with Internet Explorer. You can also see try editing the registry. If it is related to the registry keys, then I am sure what the problem can be. Find a PC maybe one of your friend’s or of some relative which has Internet Explorer 8 working properly. You need to import the good working registry key into your system which has broken registry key. The registry key to import is,
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp

I am connected to a wireless router through an ethernet cable.

I've tried unchecking all the boxes under LAN settings and many other tips I found online. Nothing worked.

I scanned my system with malwarebytes and nothing was found. I have Norton Internet Security 2009 and I disabled the firewall to see if that was blocking it. That also did not help

Hey have you followed this solution that has been mentioned by FarhaS:
    Find a PC maybe one of your friend’s or of some relative which has Internet Explorer 8 working properly. You need to import the good working registry key into your system which has broken registry key. The registry key to import is,
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp
    I have found a no of people mentioning that this has worked out for them in same issue.