Thread: How to get back the Command + Q feature to close Google Chrome

How to get back the Command + Q feature to close Google Chrome

Hey I recently installed the latest dev build update by Google in my Mac OS X 10.6.6 running Macbook pro laptop. But this proved to be annoying for me as it removed the command + q option in Google Chrome which would help us to directly close the Chrome browser and act as an excellent good shortcut key (though it had its own disadvantages sometimes) But now I am so used to this feature that I am looking forward to get the feature back. Does anyone know what possible can be done to get back this feature? I am hoping to get few solutions. Your suggestions are always welcomed.

Re: How to get back the Command + Q feature to close Google Chrome

According to me it is nearly not possible to get back the command + Q feature in your updated Google Chrome browser. May be you will need to wait for new updates which might consist of this feature. Although the feature was annoying sometimes when the tabs and browser closed all of a sudden by the user’s mistake but I don’t feel Google should have removed the feature completely, as many loved the features. Instead they must have included some more features like the ability to confirm whether the user want to close the multiple tabs or not. It would have been more sophisticated.

I would suggest you to uninstall the update which you have installed in your Mac system. You can do so by going to the following paths:
    • Macintosh HD > Users > [user’s-home-folder] > Library > Preferences (if the user wish to remove the user specific preferences) OR
    • Macintosh HD-->Library-->Preferences (If you wish to remove the global system preferences)

You will find the name of the application in the list. Be sure before uninstalling/ removing the updates as it is always recommended never to downgrade the software.

I would recommend you to remove the Google Chrome installed in your system and reinstall an earlier version of Google Chrome which was having the features which you are looking for. Removing any application is very simple in Mac system. Just drag and drop the application to the Trash folder and you are done. Or else you can also use any of the following third party software to uninstall the Google Chrome application:
    • AppCleaner Uninstaller Software (Freeware)
    • AppTrap Uninstaller Software (Open Source Freeware)
    • Mac OSX Uninstaller (Not Freeware)
    • AppZapper Uninstaller Software (Not Freeware)

Download the earlier version of Google Chrome and install it in your system. You will be able to enjoy the earlier features like before. But make sure that you don’t update it or else again it will be disabled.

No need to uninstall the Google Chrome application which has installed the latest dev build update as you can easily enable and disable the feature you are looking for, in it. Just go to about:flags option and you will find an option where you can find an enable/disable option to activate and deactivate the feature from your Google Chrome. When you select the option, the system will prompt whether you are confirmed about the decision or not.

The command + q to close the browser and the command + t feature to close the tab in Mac OS is missing from Google Chrome 12 beta but it is present in its earlier version that is the Chrome 11. But this feature went missing after the latest updates. I assume the feature of giving a warning message before the user actually quits the browser is present in all the web browsers. You can find it under the drop down menu. On Mac OS X, you will find the option under Chrome at the top menu bar.

Thank You for your great help guys. It was so dumb of me not to notice the feature in the new Google Chrome. Anyways, all’s well if ends well. I am very pleased by your suggestions. They were exactly what I was looking for and upto the mark. I was not expecting such a quick reply, but you guys proved me wrong but in a right way. I can’t express how happy I feel knowing that there are still many people like you guys who are willing to help others without any personal motive.