Thread: Unable to update java6 plug-in via Google Chrome

Unable to update java6 plug-in via Google Chrome

I recently purchased a new laptop last month. I normally use this laptop for internet surfing, gaming, downloading movies and especially for chatting. I am quite satisfied with my laptop selection. Yesterday I came across a very strange issue while I was operating my laptop. I was not able to update the java6 plug-in via Google Chrome browser. I tried a lot failed to do that. Is anyone aware about this issue? If yes then please help me out.

Re: Unable to update java6 plug-in via Google Chrome

I also had this same issue but now it has been solved. In my case the error was that the downloading never used to get completed. I tried that 3 to 4 times but nothing changed. After that I changed my browser. I installed the Browser Mozilla Firefox in my laptop and that worked out. As soon as I started to update java 6 plug-in via new browser the issue that I was previously facing disappeared. Java 6 plug-in was successfully updated. Try this out and do inform me about the consequences.

I am very grateful to you for giving your suggestions to overcome my issue. The suggestion that you specified I tried that but nothing changed. The issue remained the same as it was before. After I installed the new browser still I was not able to update the java 6 plug-in. It displays a window “Downloading java installer” but it never used to get completed. The same issue was occurred when I tried that update again. Is there any other solution to overcome the issue? If yes then please let me know about it.

The issue that you have encountered is quite interesting. Very few people have encountered such issues. To overcome the issue I would recommend you to uninstall the existing java version that you have in your laptop. After uninstalling it, try to install the latest java version in your laptop. While doing this, make sure that you are not behind a firewall or proxy because that usually blocks its access to internet. After installing the new version you won’t face any update problems in plug-in.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation that you have given to overcome my issue. As you said to uninstall existing java version and install the latest one, I did that but I was not able to install the new java version. I went to the offline download site and downloaded the jre-6u25-windows-i586-s.exe file. After this I closed all the browsers and tried to run that exe file. While running that exe file a window popped up displaying a message “Welcome to java setup, click Install to accept license”, I clicked on install button. After that the window vanished and the installation was automatically closed. I don’t know how to fix this issue. Are you aware about this issue? If yes then please inform me about its solution.

The issue that you are facing is a bit complicated. As you said that the installation setup automatically closed, it can be due to registry key problem. I also had the same issue but now it has been solved. It was due to the problem with registry key: HKLM/Software/Javasoft. The security was Null on that registry key. I got that problem fixed up from the website winhelponline. The registry and file permission was reset from that website. After that I used the command: secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose. Later on java setup was successfully installed in my laptop. Try it out and I think you won’t encounter such issues again.

Your suggestions helped me a lot. I am very grateful to you for giving your suggestions. As you specified the steps in your suggestions, I performed all the steps. After that, java setup was successfully installed in my laptop. There were several friends who encountered the same issues that I had. I forwarded the steps that you specified me and now their issue is also solved. Now I am not even facing any problems to update java 6 plug-in.