Thread: How to change Google Chrome Logo back to the older one

How to change Google Chrome Logo back to the older one

Hello guys, I recently installed Google Chrome in my Dell Laptop which is running Windows Vista in it. To be frank, I did not like the logo of the new Google Chrome which I have installed in my PC. Before I had used earlier versions of Google Chrome and I liked its earlier logo very much. The older logo of Google chrome was more vibrant and complex then the current one. So I would like to change the logo of the new Google Chrome in my Windows Vista running laptop. It will be very kind, if someone share some of their information on this topic with me.

Re: How to change Google Chrome Logo back to the older one

I am also using Google Chrome in my Windows XP and Windows Vista running laptop and desktop system respectively. But it seems to be looking perfectly fine in my both the systems. I suppose you must have installed an older version of Google Chrome in your system and that is why you are facing such kind off issues. I would thus recommend you to uninstall the current version of Google Chrome you have installed in your system and download the latest available version of Google Chrome in your system and check whether the logo seems ok after installing this latest version of it.

I also faced this problem a while back in my Windows Vista system and I must say the earlier logo of Google Chrome was far better than the current logo. I searched a lot for a proper solution for this issue but unfortunately failed in finding so. What finally worked for me was rolling back to the older version of Google Chrome. So I would also recommend you to do the same. Uninstall the current Google Chrome from your system and install the earlier version of Google Chrome. This will get you the earlier logo of Chrome.

No need to uninstall the newest Google Chrome from your system. I would rather suggest you to change the logo. For your convenience I have attached the icon/logo of the older Google Chrome. Download it in your system and change the icon. Go to the following path to change the icon of Google Chrome:
    • Right-click on the icon of Google Chrome in your desktop
    • Select the Properties option.
    • Click on the Change Icon button.
    • Browse to the path where you have stored this downloaded Icon of Old Google Chrome.
    • Select the icon and press OK and then Apply.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The Google Chrome is provided with an amazing 256x256 RGBA icon which is supported by Windows Vista but it is slightly (48x48, to be precise) opaque, which is why the icon looks little ugly in Windows Vista desktop. You can change the icon of any shortcut in Windows Vista by going to its properties. According to me the above 100k file was not included in the setup file because of some space issue. As the icons will be loaded to RAM, whenever the user runs the Google Chrome program, this will count to more than 100Gbytes of RAM which will get wasted if a million users are running it.

I have got one more solution for your queries. You can also find the icon of the older version of Google Chrome in your system. You just need to go to the path where you have installed Google Chrome in your system (for eg: C:\Program Files\Google\Google Chrome...) Here you will find a file with the name "old_chrome.exe" right next to the new “chrome.exe”. This file contains the logo of older Google Chrome. So you can use "Change icon" property and point it to this “old_chrome.exe” file.

Thank you, guys for showing interest in solving my issue and replying so quickly to my post. Seriously, it was very kind and generous of all you guys. The third and the fifth solution perfectly worked for me. First I downloaded the icon and saved it in my system. I changed the icon as you asked me to and it helped me. Later I read the last reply and went to the Google Chrome folder and to my surprise I found the icon as you have mentioned, so probably that would have also worked. Once again thank you a lot for those helps.