Thread: Permanently saving internet settings on Linux

Permanently saving internet settings on Linux

I had recently installed Ubuntu Linux on my system. I was happy with the functions and features for the same. In that there is a function called Ethernet to configure the net connection. I have a two operating systems on my system. The first one is Windows and when I boot back in Linux I found that my settings are lost every time. Why this happens. My friend has did the settings and I am completely new to Linux. I need help to save those settings permanently on my system so that they do not get wipe off again and again whenever I boot or whenever there is some kind of changes in system.

Re: Permanently saving internet settings on Linux

There is really no reason behind what is going on your system. Basically what I know when you are online Linux system can automatically read the interface of your router and configures settings. By manual it is just an piece of case. You just need your internet access information and ip and that's it, but manual configuration you can setup internet in your system. The configuration of the Ethernet interface uses the same tools and the same methods as the Loopback interface.

There are currently several devices and Internet technologies which can help a linux system to work over internet. The configuration depends largely on both the hardware and the drivers. And then it depend on the same measure of the network topology is available or if it is a single computer. So for that it is important that you must know something about internet settings. If you try to configure the same just like that, then again the issue will occur.

Due to the large number of possible configurations I will recommend you to focus only on two types of settings based on ADSL. The first is a Standalone Router mode, and the second with a USB ADSL modem. You need some kind of data for th same which can let your router have access over the internet. You must have information on your account and other information on the same. You must have an ip address, an DNS Server address and an gateway which is the routers address.

In the case of routers I will recommend you to configure it properly on the Linux system by installing drivers and other needed dialer. The disc which comes with the router has needed information in it. You can go in network settings and get information on the network setup. You just need to click on add account and follow the screen instructions. Just follow the same and enter your settings you want. Add those and you are done. You can then use internet.

Click on the connections tab and then from there choose the network card you want to use. After that you will need to go in the left side from where you can configure Properties. You can also activate or deactivate using the respective buttons. In the properties you will need to add the interface properties which are the network information what is mentioned above. You can then add up your ip and other server details and done.