Thread: Virtual Private Network does not work externally but Remote Desktop does

Virtual Private Network does not work externally but Remote Desktop does

Hello! i am in the middle of connecting a remote Linux system to our Windows 2003 server. Now, Remote Desktop from home on my Windows 7 and indeed any XP that I used remotely which worked perfectly. Now, I have to put someone Virtual private network is using a Linux system can be connected. Internal Virtual private network is working fine not externally just do not make the connection. It seems i have configured everything right as I can connect internally. please advice.

Re: Virtual Private Network does not work externally but Remote Desktop does

A Virtual Private Network is a tunnel network, which means that once a secure remote connection is established, it will be like you're sitting at home in your own network with an IP address in the same range and no restrictions firewall in the middle. Once connected to the Virtual Private Network of the possibilities are endless. You can establish a remote desktop connection to any of your home computers, print directly from your computer up to date one of their printers at home. Even when you open a web page, web browser, you will come to your ISP at home.

Internet access at home has a defect, your external IP address is dynamic changing arbitrarily. If your external IP is going to change when you connect remotely, they will not know what the new one unless you are at home. That already makes the possibility of a remote connection useless. To overcome this deficiency, which is present in virtually all other remote access solutions, we can get a free subscription to a dynamic DNS provider. Dymanic DNS allows you to have a fixed IP address or domain name to point to your source IP address for this project we chose DynDNS.

This is where the Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware comes into play with this firmware to be able to connect to DynDNS and report to external changes when the IP. But that's not all: you can also host the Virtual private network server on the router and not on the computer. So when you connect remotely to connect to the router that is always on. You may be asking themselves at this time "no problem. But there will not be able to access my files because my computer is off !!!!" DD-WRT has "Wake-on-LAN." Wake-on-LAN can wake up any computer that is connected directly to the router .

Please understand. That when once you connect through Virtual private network is not any thing else but the same as if you put your remote desktop with in the network that is trying to connect. It will get an internet protocol from the remote network, and even when you go to the website you are viewing in Internet router from the remote network. there are many methods avaliable to connect to a Virtual Private Network via a remote network for using any machine connected on the network.