Thread: How to import Firefox Configuration from About:Config?

How to import Firefox Configuration from About:Config?

Guys I have this query which I was thinking of asking from a long period of time. Finally the day has arrived. I wanted to know how can I import the Firefox configuration. The reason I had to import the configuration is because I had this special configuration set in a system and now I am planning to upgrade my pc with the new operating system. So I just want to know whatever configuration that I had set in the old pc will the same configuration be seen in the new pc. I am keeping the Firefox version the same and not making any changes there. So tell me is it possible to make some changes? If yes then please let me know about it.

re: How to import Firefox Configuration from About:Config?

Well you will have to take care of the prefs.js file and make the necessary changes accordingly there. I think that’s the much better option for you. Do try and save the prefs.js file in the system only and do not make any changes in the file. See if you are able to retain that file in the new system as well then all the settings of the about:config will be retained in the new system as well. So I hope you have got the point that I am trying to make here, do the necessary changes.

I have one interesting method for you. See you will be able to retain all the necessary configuration that you had made for the Firefox in the new system also. What you will have to do is clone the entire profile that you had in the old system. See cloning method is very simple and the steps for the cloning can be easily found in the internet you can have a look at that as well. Even the above method suggested by the user is a very effective method that you can give a try. So do work on it and let us know which one was the successful one for you.

Why don’t you bookmark the existing file and then import the bookmark from the old profile to the new profile. So basically what you have to do is go to the bookmarks, then go to the manage bookmarks, a file menu will be displayed, then select import and select the file. I think this is also one of the effective method that you must give it a try so that you will be able to get the solutions for it. Anyways if you have not understood anything then let me know about it I will advise you accordingly on that.

If you have the prefs.js file in your system then open it up in a notepad and duplicate the settings that you want through about:config in the profile on the other hard drive of the new system. What that will do is that it will copy all the contents of the old profile to the new profile. So that will retain all the settings of the about:config of firefox in the new profile as well. So that is the method that I had to specify here. Hope you liked it.

Re: How to import Firefox Configuration from About:Config?

Yes, that was interesting , I think the above method is the most coolest of them all and It will not matter if I give it a try for the working. Thanks for suggesting me that method for me. I will surely give it a try and I am quite sure that it will work for me. I was not aware of that simple solution, thanks for making the case so simple for me. It was indeed a great help for me that really made me get out of the mess. So thanks a lot for that.