Thread: Spyware found in Microsoft DRM plug-in on Firefox browser

Spyware found in Microsoft DRM plug-in on Firefox browser

Hello everyone, I am using Firefox 1.5.0.3, and I have almost tried every plug-in available with Firefox. I have not yet any problem with any plug-in, but since from 8 days I am facing some problem in Microsoft DRM plug-in. after looking at problem I have tried to remove it from the directory, after 2 to 3 attempts of removing it, still it shows there in the list. I am using Firefox on Windows XP professional SP3. After many trials, I think this issue occurs due to Spyware in DRM plug-in. so can anyone help with this matter? I am waiting for your reply, thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Spyware found in Microsoft DRM plug-in on Firefox browser

Yes I have heard that there are some Spyware found in Firefox plug-in, well looking at your case, I have some solution for you. Just follow the path which I am giving you and then delete files from there. Follow this path “C:\Program file\Windows Media Player\” after going into this folder delete “npdrmv2.dll” and npwmsdrm.dll” files. After this reboot the system, and if still appears and doesn’t fix your problem then check in invisible folders, there you will find dllcache folder, entering into these folder check for the file you have deleted, if you are able to see that file over there then delete it and again restart the PC. I think you will fix your problem.

Hey thanks for the reply man, I am using the same configuration of system and I have the same Firefox version at my place. And also I am suffering through the same error. After reading your post, I turn on system and tried to delete those file which you have mentioned on above post. You will not believe that I have tried to delete that files twice or thrice, but it still showing in the list. And also I have tried to look for hidden file, but I don’t know why I was not able to see that folder. I think my folder option also infected by the Spyware, I don’t know what to do now, but thanks for the solution.

Hey I have seen these kinds of problems, just try to use above methods, and keep in mind that you don’t forget to reboot your PC. If still you face the same issue then there must be spyware have done attach on your system. It seems like that your rootkit is being hooked by Microsoft DRM in the Firefox. If you are able to see the hidden file then too you will not be able to delete that files. Because dllcache does not allow user to delete, it only allows you to change it or replace it with update. If you really want to solve this problem just do one thing, start your system with Linux cd and remove the files from dllcache. And then again restart your computer with windows system. This step will solve your problem. All the best!!

Yes friends, I am completely agreed with the above post, I have tried this steps and somehow I got success in fixing the error. But everyone is not that much lucky, one my friend have tried this but still he is facing the same problem. So this my suggestion to all that, after doing above steps still you face the problem, then simply go to Microsoft website and log a complain over there. Or another best way is quit with Microsoft and use Linux. This is the best way to show Microsoft, all the best!!!