Thread: Unable to clear Address Bar History in Internet Explorer 9

Unable to clear Address Bar History in Internet Explorer 9

I am running 32-bit version of Windows 7 in my computer. I recently installed Internet Explorer 9 in my system but it is showing few problems. I am unable to find a way to delete (clear) the history listed in the Address bar of the Internet Explorer 9. Though the Address bar is not known as One bar in IE9. Does anyone know where I can find the option to delete the address bar history? If anyone has any solution for my problem then please come forward and give me your suggestions. Suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Unable to clear Address Bar History in Internet Explorer 9

You should follow these steps and check if you are able to delete the browsing history or not:
    • Click Start button on the bottom left of the screen and type inetcpl.cpl in the Search text field. Press enter.
    • Click on the General tab and press delete button, which is under the Browsing History of the Internet Properties dialog box.
    • In the Delete Browsing history dialog box, tick or check all the checkboxes and press Delete.
    • Finally click on Apply and then on Ok.

Thank you, for your quick post. But unfortunately they did not help me out. Nothing seems to be working for me at this moment. I tried deleting the Address bar History but it is not ready to get deleted. Your above suggestions helped me get rid of History, Cache, cookies and everything but not this Address Bar History. This thing is irritating me now. I am planning to shift to another web browser rather than wasting my time here on Internet Explorer to find out its various problems. Internet Explorer 7 and IE8 were far better than this one.

As you said nothing is helping you out, so the last option you have got is to uninstall the Internet Explorer 9 and then reinstall it in your system. After reinstallation check if the problem still exists with your internet explorer 9 or not. It would be better if you download the latest version of Internet Explorer from Microsoft’s official website. This will reduce the chance of getting a corrupt infected file to a great extent. If still you can unable to clear the problem, I would suggest you to shift to some other web browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Opera.

You should try the basic steps which we did when we were using the Internet Explorer 8 and 7. You can delete the history by doing the following steps:
    Start the Internet Explorer Browser
    Click on the Tools menu on the menu bar.
    Select “Internet options”
    Now select Content.
    Select AutoComplete Settings
    Click on Delete AutoComplete history
    Select the items to delete
    Click Delete.

I would be recommending you to use any third party application if you really want to meet your requirement of deleting the address bar history. You can search for the same on Internet. One such software application is CCleaner. I am also using it. And to be frank, from any layman user’s point of view, it is a very good choice. You can search for it on Internet and download it from it official website. Official website because, then you can avoid the chances of downloading any random junk file which can also be virus. It is free, secure, faster and very handy in use.

None of that worked for me...Here's how I did it!

I'm not totally tech ignorant but I'm not a tech guru either. Hope this helps someone else.

I tried many different suggestions. The screenshot (not the directions) at this link did the trick...

Here's the info from the link...

Well don’t worry we had a simple solution for you :-
    •Open Windows Explorer and click on downward pointing arrow and you will see several address typed by you,
    •Now to delete just right click on the address bar and then click on Delete History,
    (There is a screenshot in the article that did not copy here. It is actually what I used to figure this out so take a look at it. The text in the article didn't appear to be accurate to me. It was the same as I had seen in the posts of other forums. The screenshot got me started and I was able to figure it out from that.)

•That’s it, it will delete all previous addresses,
    •Now to check restart your Windows Explorer and check it by clicking on address bar arrow.

What I did......I didn't understand why he said "Open Windows Explorer." I had to go to My Computer, click on my "C" drive to make it appear in blue highlighting, and then hover over the address bar as I right clicked. That brought up the option to "delete history."
    You don't actually click the address bar, just move your mouse there and right click. In the address bar, you will see the word "Computer." That's when you right click.

As I said I am not a tech guru so use this info at your own risk. I just wanted to share since I had become so frustrated searching for this.