Thread: Pidgin Internet Messenger not working in Ubuntu

Pidgin Internet Messenger not working in Ubuntu

Recently I have upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 in my computer. My Pidgin Internet Messenger was working fine before the upgrade but now it is not working. While I attempt to release yahoo in Pidgin it displays “disconnect. Port 5050 forbids error occurred”. I permitted this port in my computer except still similar error is viewing. The proxy settings are fine and I have doubled checked it. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this thing?

Re: Pidgin Internet Messenger not working in Ubuntu

It seems to me that the new version of ubuntu is not compatible with this old version of Pidgin Internet Messenger. So due to this it is showing error message. If there is any new version of Pidgin Internet Messenger is available then install it in your computer and see what you can get. Otherwise try to re-install messenger and try to connect now. Is it only about the yahoo or other also?

It seems to me that some applications in your computer may not be allowing you to connect to the yahoo via that port. It seems to me that other applications also using the same port and which doesn’t allow passing another traffic through it. If this case so then you need to close or kill those applications before suing the pidgin messenger. Otherwise the port which the messenger is using is permanently blocked by the ISP. If this so then you need to contact the ISP for this in order to open that port once again.

Are you behind any router or hardware firewall device? Are you using the internet through any router? If this case, then the port which is showing in the error message might have been blocked by the router program or the firewall program which is integrated in it. Whatever it may be you need to open the router configuration page and use the method called port forwarding in the router so that it can open that particular port to pass the internet traffic through it. Otherwise reset the router and try again to connect.

My suggestion is get rid of the pidgin and use Empathy. It is a messaging application which supports text, voice, as well as video chat and file transfers above numerous dissimilar protocols. You can inform it concerning your accounts on each and every one of those services and accomplish all your chatting inside single application. Empathy makes Telepathy for protocol hold up and has a customer interface depends on Gossip. Empathy is the defaulting chat client in existing editions of GNOME, creating it easier in favor of additional GNOME apps to put together teamwork functionality by the use of Telepathy.

To resolve this issue I think that you need to work on some commands on Linux or ubuntu to know about the traffic and internet settings in your computer. The commands will take important role in Linux distribution. If you search on Google you will get lots of guide over this. First what you have to do is to check whether that port is open or blocked. Also check that all the ports which the pidgin uses to communicate are free and opened.