Thread: firefox 4 occupying a lot of memory

firefox 4 occupying a lot of memory

Hello friends. Greetings to all. I have firefox 4 installed on my home computer. I am using windows XP as operating system and ram is 512 mega bytes. Before I run firefox, everything takes 120 mega bytes . When I run only firefox, it takes up to around 150 megabytes. I would like to know what is the issue? Is there any memory leak or not ? Why is such a thing happening ? Guys please help me out and let me know the detailed solution for it. Replies are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: firefox 4 occupying a lot of memory

It may happen that many of the java scripts are not constructed nicely and this causes memory leak. These are scripts that get used and also reused. This brings to the query that browser should take into consideration whether garbage collection must be done or terminate in any case. Also, leaks are created because of perl scripts and also programmed hypertext preprocessor which are badly programmed. My experience says that these problems have occurred since early days when Mozilla came in to being and they think it is not their mistake but it is the developers mistake.

Firstly, I would like to know that you dont use any memory intensive languages. That can cause memory leakage problem . I will suggest you that, with the help of configuration console, try to reduce the memory cache. Thus for other applications, memory cache will be freed up and thus depending on your machine and the application that you are running , everything else will work at a faster speed. I hope the reply helps you out in some way or the other . I have shared with you whatever knowledge I have.

I really liked the above solution and would like to take you ahead so that you dont get stuck up anywhere. . In firefox’s address bar, type about config and hit enter. Right clicking, go to new, integer, type browser.cache.memory.capacity in the box which you can see. Entering ok, press 16000, which means it is the cache for the ram. Finally, enter ok and again start firefox. Thus, I hope by following the above steps in a appropriate manner the memory leak issue would be resolved.

As per my knowledge, you should not neglect windows XP. You cannot be sure that it is because of firefox only. It may have happened that the XP components have gone haywire and you will need to again install XP or may reqire to repair the system. Also, I would like to ask you how many tabs you open at a given particular time. Even that can be the reason of the problem that you have mentioned above. In case you do open many tabs, just avoid doing it. Also, there should not be many flash pages that you open.

Firstly, I would like to question you that how did you get to know that the applications are having memory leak. What’s exactly that you can see and what are the tools that you are using to monitor it. Had you given the information that I asked , I would have been in a better position to answer. Anyways, I would recommend you that you uninstall firewall and then gain install it. This may improve the issue of the memory leaks and your issue will be resolved.