Thread: Facebook, Gmail running slow on Mozilla Firefox 4

Facebook, Gmail running slow on Mozilla Firefox 4

Hi friends, I have been using Mozilla Firefox 4 from a while now. From last few days I had noticed that the Firefox have started running extremely slow. It takes about 5 to 7 minutes to load pages of many websites including Facebook, Gmail and others. Before, it used to take just few seconds to load the web pages. As the loading takes so much time, I am unable to see any pictures on Facebook. I don’t know what must be causing this problem. If anybody have solution for my problem then please come forward and give me suggestions for the same.

Re: Facebook, Gmail running slow on Mozilla Firefox 4

Before performing any major steps, I would suggest you to perform the basic steps first. You should first clear your cache. You can do that by performing the following steps:
    • Go to the “Tools” tab on the Menu Bar.
    • Click on the “Clear Recent History” from the list of options in the drop-down list.
    • Clear All history window will appear. Select “Everything” from the Time range to clear dropdown menu.
    • Check out the “Cache” checkbox option and perform action to clear your cache.

Now as you have cleared your cache, you need to run a speed test on your browser.
    • Search for Speed test on Internet and you will find plenty of websites (Numion is one example of such websites) that can easily perform the speed check for any given URL.
    • Once you done with the speed test, note down the time taken by the site to load.
    • Clear your cache by doing the above steps again and close your Firefox.

It seems like this is a very common problem faced by Mozilla Firefox 4 users. I also faced this problem a while back. Tried finding for solution on Internet and finally got this one way to get rid of slow running browser. The browser will work faster like before once you are done deleting the profile folder. You can locate the folder in the following location;
    (Local Drive):\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
    Deleting the profile had worked for me. If still the problem exists for you then you should probably shift to the normal HTML standard form as it is faster than the classic one.

Hey people, thanks for your quick post. They were helpful but to some extent only. I deleted the profile folder first and it did worked well for a while, but then again the web pages started loading slow. The other option of clearing the cache also helped for a while but it was of temporary use only. The problem starts again after few hours of working on Mozilla. Now I am really irritated with it and am planning to either switch to some other browser or roll back to the older version of Mozilla Firefox, which is Mozilla Firefox 3.6. Still I am hoping that I get some suggestions related to this mater. Help will be appreciated.

Gmail was loading slow in my Mozilla Firefox and solved iy by performing the following steps which I came across on Internet:
    • First disable Add-ons and then restart your Firefox. Click Help tab in the Firefox menu bar and select Restart option with Add-ons disabled.
    • Visit the website which is causing the problem and check whether the problem still exists after disabling all the Add-ons. Mostly you will notice that everything is back to normal and all the web pages are loading fast as usual. Hence it is clear that some of the add-on must be reason behind your trouble.
    • Enable your add-ons again by restarting the Firefox again.
    • Now start disabling the add-ons one by one and try to login or visit the website which was loading slowly. You need to restart your Firefox every time you disable the add-ons so this will be time consuming if you have added lots of add-ons.
    • Once you find the add-on which was causing problem, just disable the following add-on and enable all the other add-ons and restart the Firefox.

Mozilla has blamed it add-ons for the slow performance of Firefox 4. According to them, “installing 10 add-ons will increase the start-up time by twice its usual speed”. And if the add-ons are poorly written and perform bad they will further add up to slowing down the browser. Mozilla have highlighted the worst offenders which are affecting the performance of Mozilla. Firebug add-on will slow down the start-up time of Mozilla by 74% whereas Adblock Plus add-on will make the Mozilla browser slower by 21%. So the best solution to get rid of the slow browser is to disable all the unnecessary add-ons from your browser. Though it is not clear which release it is but Mozilla have confirmed that they will completely stop third party add-ons installation in their upcoming version of Firefox to prevent all this trouble unless the user wants to do so.