Thread: Disabling font smoothing in IE9

Disabling font smoothing in IE9

Hello friends. Greetings to all. As the technology moves on, I installed internet explorer 9 on to my computer. Lookin on the cathode ray tube, the font smoothing looks different as compared to the previous versions. It looks blurry in some way. Also, are there any disable features ? Also, I would like to know are there any add on features in the fonts as compared to the previous versions. Thanks in advance for getting time out and replying.

Re: Disabling font smoothing in IE9

Hi. The way I know how you can disable font smoothing is in the Operating system itself. Also, coming to fonts, The pages look different and good because of hardware acceleration. Direct write subsystem is used by Microsoft for drawing the texts on the display, it is something unusual way of rendering the text. Thus as compared to older versions, the fonts are more attractive. Also, care has been taken according to the intention of the designer.

Firstly, go to windows 7 basic theme. Then run the clear type tuner. Then disable it all together. Then change the fonts under the option of personalize in windows color. Then use regedit, added "Tahoma" under HKLM, then Software, then Microsoft and proceeding select font substitutes. Then delete all the extra fonts . Then try playing with HKCU, followed by Control Panel, then desktopDesktop and select the font smoothing type. Thus, almost font smoothing will be disabled.

Firstly, I would like to let you know in case you don’t that XP is not compatible with IE9. It is compatible with mac and windows 7. Apple adds something new to IE9. Thus, due to these reasons, searching the browser makes some texts look blurry, particularly the texts which are not black on white. I would like to make a point clear that hardware acceleration should never be enabled on because IE9 is used on desktop and installed on a virtual machine. You can turn it off in the graphics card driver, but that will lead to real side effects.

Hi. As you have asked , I would like to enlighten you related to the fonts smoothing of IE9. There was something new about font smoothing in this version. Internet explorer 9 firstly brought the concept of sub pixel fonts. In default standard mode, the concept of sub pixel positioning is used. Whereas whole pixel text metrics are used in compatibility modes. Thus, a lots of effort was put in and this is really something great work done by Microsoft.