Thread: Does mobile broadband USB 3G works on Linux

Does mobile broadband USB 3G works on Linux

Hello guys, I am from Italy. I stay in hostel where in each flat there are 4 peoples and we all are allowed to access only 8GB/month from our connection which is not quite enough, so first I thought about of separate phone connection for net but that is not allowed in hostel. But I have heard about the 3G USB sticks which allows 2Mbps of speed. I think that would be the best option for me but the problem is I don’t know those USB things are compatible with Linux system, if any body know anything about this please help.

Re: Does mobile broadband USB 3G works on Linux

Now days you will find this type of questions on the tech, internet and 3G forums, well it’s sad but only few of them work with Linux. Most of the USB driver needs Windows driver. But some them do work with Linux so trying by yourself will be the best idea then you will get to know that which service provider provides USB stick or data plan for the Linux. You can use your friend’s or colleagues USB to check whether it works on Linux or no. You have another one option that is wireless PCMCIA cards which gives better connectivity compared to USB.

Hey buddy thanks a lot for such a quick reply, well I asked some of my friend’s but they don’t have the USB data plan, I have posted same query on other sites too but there people are not so concerned about relying any bodies query. Yeah even I think PCMCIA option would be better but the problem is on my desktop I don’t have connection to connect that card. I am thinking to use my phone which supports only GPRS as broadband modem but it will give very low speed. Anyone have got better idea than this one? Please share.

Well mate I will also suggest you the PCMCIA interface car, first of all you don’t need an phone connection for this and compared to USB sticks it will give better connectivity and the performance . Even I am using the PCMCIA it is much better then USB connection because you can’t trust the connectivity of that I am saying all this with my experience of USB 3G. If you don’t have connection for PCMCIA in your desktop then you use PCMCIA interface card (PCI to PCMCIA). This will be the better

Dude in my point of view you should use a 3G connection because I am using the same from last one year and this working really very well for me. You just need to buy a 3G enabled phone and in that you just have to insert your SIM and connect your phone to the computer, and yeah it will work with Linux too because I am also having the Linux operating system. Sometime this 3G gives me the speed, which quite unbelievable, so my suggestion for you will be buy a 3G enabled phone.

Well thanks a lot guys for giving me so much options which I can use for my internet. I guess using PCMCIA interface card will be better one, because my colleagues are using 3G plans on their handsets, they were told that they can use unlimited data plan with a particular charge but after getting the bill they got to know that actually it was limited to some extend like 5GB a month after they have to pay for each GB. So I planning to go for PCMCIA, and thanks a lot guys for your help.