Thread: Firefox 4 not starting on MAC

Firefox 4 not starting on MAC

I have been using Firefox since I purchased my IMac. It worked fine till few days back. Out of nowhere it has stopped working. Whenever I try opening it, it closes immediately without any warning or crash reports. But it works smoothly on my Macbook. I am unable to verify what have caused my Mozilla to act so strangely all of a sudden. Suggestions would be appreciated. Please Help.

Re: Firefox 4 not starting on MAC

As you said that the problem started all of a sudden, I think this is some kind of virus attack on your IMac. Your system is infected by some sort of virus and it must have corrupted your Mozilla Firefox files. Check if the problem is only with Firefox or any other browser also. I would suggest you to uninstall the current Mozilla Firefox and downloaded the latest version of it from Mozilla’s official website. Also check for any virus presence in your system. Scan your system and always keep the antivirus updated to prevent any further attack for new viruses and germs. Hope it helps you.

It is known that extensions can also cause problems. Most extensions attached to the Firefox can be disabled or uninstalled by using “Add-ons manager “. Navigate to the following steps: Open your Mozilla. Click on Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions. Also check if some other process or program running on background is hampering the performance of Firefox. There is a possibility that some program you installed recently is not compatible with Mozilla Firefox. In some cases, you may have to run Firefox in "Firefox Safe Mode" to access the Add-ons manager.

Hey I scanned my system and luckily there were no virus or any germs infecting my system. Also I checked whether the problem exists only with my Firefox or any other browser. But I am able to open other browsers like safari and camino (which is another product of Mozilla). I tried uninstalling the Firefox but was unsuccessful in doing so. Can anyone kindly help me in removing it from my system? Step by Step procedure would be of greater help. Thanks in advance.

In Mac we do not have to go too deeply into the program files. It can be done easily from your desktop only. Just drag the Firefox application to the Trash. Now g o to the .plist file stored at /Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist and remove that file. The above steps won’t remove the user data and settings from the system. I would suggest you to completely remove this information from your system because it may create errors and problems when you are reinstalling or upgrading Firefox. Luckily this is also very much easy in Mac. You just have to locate profile folders and remove it. You can find it in one of these locations:
    /Library/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ or
    /Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/
    After you find this location just delete the Firefox folder in the default profile path. Now without any trouble you can reinstall new version of Firefox.