Thread: Secure lock icon missing in Firefox 4

Secure lock icon missing in Firefox 4

Default browser on my Windows 7 machine is Mozilla Firefox which I have recently upgraded to its latest version ie. Mozilla Firefox 4. I have noticed on this browser something that seems to be missing in this new version. On the right bottom side of the browser, There used to be an icon for Secure lock to enable and disable it. Since I have upgraded to the latest firefox, It is not there. From where can I have it?

Re: Secure lock icon missing in Firefox 4

The "Site Identity button, which provides a lot extra related information about a web site, was introduced in Firefox 3, and was used together with the security lock icon" that "lock icon" is retired from Firefox 4 versions. Users long time many of us are not satisfied with the blockade that has been either, and have requested an extension of a few developers about restoring offering through. Well, that will not happen, because the "internal coding" to "Lockdown" feature was removed from Firefox.

There is a main trouble with the lock, though, that lots of people think it means extra than it really does. Undoubtedly thought so until I had a lengthy chat with Mozilla security guru who made clear that the padlock simply means "encrypted" rather than "safe." When the lock has a extremely precise meaning associated to browser security, had given it a deeper meaning, the wider it does not really deserve. All the lock means that the website is through HTTPS (Hyper-Text Transfer Protocol Secure). It is almost ineffective, since you can simply see if a website (like this), is by watching at the HTTPS URL bar or check the web site's domain extends into the favicon. If you truly want it, the lock is still there if you click the button favicon domain.

Users are accustomed to see a lock, either in the status bar or address bar. The "block" is understood by most users - that move, not remove it. Almost all browsers have used and still use the lock icon to indicate a "secure" website. Opera IE9 11 and are replacing the web page icon on the left of the URL address bar with a padlock icon, which makes added logic than the way Firefox 4 is doing. Opera and IE are moving to block the right of the address bar as Opera 10 and IE8 are already configured. Click the padlock icon and display the box information security. Firefox is most likely the lone browser that is "hiding" the lock of the "box" that opens with the site which records the identity of the button.

Each financial institution each media (newspapers / TV / Radio / blog) reaches millions of people elderly and other geeks and told them not to flee as soon as there is a key or padlock on a secure page (or perhaps secure page call what you're trying to get ahead). This is a major change in disaster management to happen ... Not only Firefox, but for each web site with secure transactions. Countless organizations are to receive calls from users saying, "Your site is not secured, Oprah and CNN told me". Go to the color scheme or other visual indicator to alert the security level, but absolutely not lose the icon!

I sincerely do not think the request will shape Mozilla to action for the re-establishment of the status bar. Mozilla developers have seen that fell in love with Google Chrome and (apparently) want to look like Chrome Firefox. Opera 11 seems to think better with a functioning state, but is more like SeaMonkey (e-mail functions) than is the same as Firefox. Countless functions stuck in the status bar that I never use - Opera Link, Opera Unite, and "Turbo."

This is a awfully excellent point. Being myself a computer would know to look for wise https: / / to verify the encryption. But people like my mom and my grandmother would not. Idea to constantly gaze for the lock earlier than entering sensitive data. The status bar that I can live without it. I have only to re-train to find the address at the top mouseover rather than the bottom where I've been looking for 15 years .. But the blockade is an absolute must-have for the masses.