Thread: Firefox 4 is not getting started in Fedora 8

Firefox 4 is not getting started in Fedora 8

Well I just recently installed the firefox 4 in my system and after installing when I tried to open the firefox browser it is giving me an error and the error is ./firefox ./firefox-bin: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /tmp/firefox/libxul.so) I have a fedora 8 system and I don’t know if that is the problem. So how should I run Firefox 4 in fedora 8 please do give me some solutions here?

Re: Firefox 4 is not getting started in Fedora 8

As of now what you can do here is that try working with the different libstdc++ see if you are able to get some good libstdc++ files from the other distributors. The libstdc++ provided by the opera 8 is a very old one so do that is why the new firefox browser is not supporting it and hence it is giving you the problem. So do have a look on the suggestion that I have given you here and accordingly work on it and I am sure that it will work out for you.

Well even I have some similar kind of problem but the thing is that my operating system is the centos 5.5. it is not getting opened at all in my system. I know it is a bit different from the other os. So now firefox is not getting opened with these. Now why is that so? I did some research in he internet and I came across some people where they were successfully able to run the firefox 4 in their os. So why does it not run in my operating system? any responses?

I have got some solution for you do try it and let me know whether that works or not. So do follow the following steps
    1) Start with the unpacking of the Firefox 4.0b9.tar.bz2 and store it in a particular location.
    2) After you have stored it in a particular location then you will have to go to the sublocation of /usr/local/firefox.
    3) Now having done that donwlaod the libstdc++ from the fedora 9 and unpack it. If you don’t know how to unpack it then do unpack itwith the help of the following command
    rpm2cpio libstdc++-4.3.0-8.i386.rpm | cpio -i --make-directories
    4) Now move the unpacked directory and shift it to the location /usr/local/firefox.
    5) Now the new location will become /usr/local/firefox/libstdc++.so.6. please note that you will not have to put any leading slash line after that.
    6) After having done that run the firefox program in the system and see if it is running properly or not.
    I am quite sure that it will help you in the process.