Thread: Internet Explorer 8:’ The ordinal 266 could not be located in the dynamic link library msi.dll.’

Internet Explorer 8:’ The ordinal 266 could not be located in the dynamic link library msi.dll.’

Currently I am using Internet Explorer 8 on the computer of mine. From past two days I am trying to download MSN Messenger but I am unable to do the same. A error message prompts on the screen which states that ‘The ordinal 266 could not be located in the dynamic link library msi.dll.’ I am really frustrated with this particular problem since I am unable to download anything from the Internet. Let me know why this problem is occurring on the computer of mine. Also suggest me what steps should be taken to fix this particular problem. Any suggestion to fix the problem of mine will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Internet Explorer 8:’ The ordinal 266 could not be located in the dynamic link library msi.dll.’

Well looking at the situation provided I am unable to find out the root cause of the problem. I want to know little bit more to understand the situation of yours.
    • First of all let me know which operating system do you have installed on the computer of yours?
    • Also tell me from when do you facing this particular problem?
    • Do you have done any hardware or software changes on the computer of yours?
    • Finally tell me whether you have installed any antivirus software on your computer? Also tell me whether Firewall is enabled on your computer?
    • Answer the question of the above mentioned post and reply as soon as possible so that I can let you what further steps should be taken to fix the problem.

Re: Internet Explorer 8:’ The ordinal 266 could not be located in the dynamic link library msi.dll.’

Well I was having the same problem which you have posted in the post of yours. I have done to run my Internet Explorer without using Add-ons. From where I am not having any problem. I think in your situation this problem is occurring due to Add-ons hence use the following steps to run your browser in no Add-on mode.
    • You have to click on Start menu and go for All Programs and click on Accessories.
    • Now go for System Tools and choose Internet Explorer (No add-ons).
    • In case above mentioned steps help you to fix the problem then use the following steps to identify which Add-on is causing the problem.
    • You have to click on Tool and go for Internet Option.
    • Now you have to click on Program and simply click on Manage Add-ons.
    • Now you have to choose Add-ons from the name list of the Add-on and simply click on Disable button and restart the browser and see what happens.

I think you should try with resetting the Internet Explorer Settings and see what see happens. You can use the following steps to reset the settings of Internet Explorer. You have to browse to Control Panel and use the following instruction.
    • You have to close the entire program which is running on your computer including Internet Explorer.
    • Now click on Start button and Click on Run button from the Start menu.
    • Now enter inetcpl.cpl and press enter from the keyboard. Internet Option dialog will pop up on the screen.
    • You should go for Advanced button and click on Reset button which is located below Reset Internet Explorer settings.
    • Once you have completed with resetting the settings and simply click on Close to exit the dialog box.
    • Now start the browser and see whether it helps you out or not.

I am providing following points which you can use to Internet Explorer to surf and download safely.
    • You should download the program from the trusted website. If you have doubt regarding that particular program and search on the Google and see it is reported as spyware or not.
    • You should read carefully security warnings, license agreements, and privacy statements which are associated with any software which you are supposed to download.
    • You should not click on Agree or Ok button rather than use Red X button which is located at the corner of window.
    • I recommend that you should use standard account rather than using Administrator account.
    • You should be careful while using all the free music and movie file sharing program and also understand all the software packaged require properly.