Thread: Internet Explorer 8 opens MP3 files in WMP 12 rather than asking to save

Internet Explorer 8 opens MP3 files in WMP 12 rather than asking to save

I am attempting to download an MP3 file. The download is started through a redirect (in a fresh window). Unluckily, the file is played in Windows Media Player 12 (I am on Windows 7 Home Premium), rather than me being asked whether to save or open it. Worst part is that WMP12 is not yet the default mp3 player. How can I force Internet Explorer 8 to inquire whether to Save or Open the mp3 file?

Re: Internet Explorer 8 opens MP3 files in WMP 12 rather than asking to save

You may require changing the AutoPlay default action from opening/playing in Windows Media Player to get no action. You be able to perform this by:
    • Press Start
    • Press Default Programs
    • Press Change AutoPlay settings
    • For Audio files choose either TAKE NO ACTION or ASK ME EVERY TIME

I wish that assists, look ahead to hearing back from you.

I would advise you to run internet explorer troubleshooter. Windows offers a built-in troubleshooter that is able to automatically locate as well as solve a few general problems with Internet Explorer. You have to go to the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter by pressing the Start key, and after that Pressing Control Panel. In the search field, type troubleshooter, and afterward Press Troubleshooting. Press View all, in addition to then select Internet Explorer Performance.

After I poured throughout settings for WMP as well as Internet Explorer as well as attempted the suggestions here, I went in as well as altered my default media player for mp3's. I do not utilize WMP anyway; however it was yet arrange as the default player. That took care of the problem for me. I think it was not somewhat in a Windows update; however I am able to simply speculate. I am also certain this is not the type of advice Microsoft requires on a "Microsoft answers" message board as well as this will maybe get pulled down.